Old 06-25-2008   #21
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Damn Ian, you are on top of this math. I was kind of enjoying the BS speculation by all of us that have no idea what we are talking about, and you just ruined it with your fancy equations. just kidding. but more importantly we should be getting in more lunch time cc runs.

Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
Yo smitty, got your concerns already taken care of, and no the golden gauge does not make sense, its off. Eddyflower not updating is a bummer. Eddyflower any answer to this? The golden gauge is not accurate though, trust me. I've looked at several years of gauge data and done lots of analysis on it. You could say its my "part time job" during boating season. Also, boating clear creek a lot, you get the levels dialed on visual and feel too.

Just in case you are interested, several years of daily average flows prior to the golden gauge being changed this year proved that the sum of lawson and the gauged tributaries below it was very close to the guage at golden (withing a couple of percent). Its way off that now. Daily mean flows smooth out the daily fluctuations so that the time lag between the gauges is insignificant.

As for the time lag I have also done time lag analysis. There is a 3.75 hr peak to peak lag between lawson and golden at current flows. This means that lawson, plus all the tribs close to lawson at time=0 should be close to clear creek at golden at time = +3.75 hrs, and its not. I time shifted the data from golden to match the peaks at lawson and did the summation and came up with the same results as the daily mean calculation. End result is that golden gauge is reading low by about 100 cfs right now, ranging from 80-120 cfs.

As to why this matters, some folks have their blackrock cutoffs dialed by the old gauge and 100 cfs could mean the difference between a good day and a beatdown. If you are like me and you know the exact cfs that your favorite boof is covered, or the exact cfs that the boat gouger rock gets covered, it makes a difference.

aschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #22
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Internet + excel + kayaker + engineering degree = gauge geek. If I could make a living off farting around with water data I would do it in a heartbeat!

I'm doing a lower clear creek lunch run tomorrow (thur) from the put in on down to the dam. Interested? At the dam at 11:30.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #23
Golden, Colorado
Hey Ian,
Please keep an eye out for my paddle: black AT3 with yellow trim, name and # on it. Last seen at Mr. Bill. It was so full of water I doubt it stopped before the lower run.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #24
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Roger that Ture. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Which has me thinking about another one of my prohibitively expensive inventions... paddle with a GPS homing device, with wrist mounted GPS watch transceiver. Get out of water, push button on watch, paddle found... oh shit its in kansas!

Mr. Bill rodeo sounds brutal. Ouch!

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote