Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-10-2005   #1
Golden Community Rodeo Series - My 25, June 1, 8, 15

Thanks to many people’s help and involvement, the Golden Community Rodeo Series will be held for its third consecutive year on Clear Creek in Golden, CO.

May 25
June 1
June 8
June 15 (final event with a party and awards)

Times: The events start at 5:30 (registration at 5:00pm).

Cost: $25 (one-time fee for all either one or all four rodeos)

**This is the first year there is an entry fee, thanks to some new regulations by the City of Golden…more specifically, we have to have insurance this year, and the Colorado Whitewater Association has graciously agreed to lend us theirs. Each participant has to pay the $25 fee to be insured and in addition, each person who signs up will get a free CWWA membership, a free Wahoo’s Meal Certificate, a Croakie from LifeLink Int., and a cam strap from Mountain Miser…plus, just about everyone wins a prize! So, not only is your money staying the pool of river conservation, recreation, and access – you also get some pretty good door prizes!**

**If you’re already a CWWA member, then your entry fee is waived – and yes, you still get the gifts! For more info check out their website at www.coloradowhitewater.org.**

What hasn’t changed is our mission: to provide a low-key event where even the newest of all rodeo boaters will feel comfortable. Our hope is that those who are even the slightest bit curious about rodeo boating will attend, and enter! Even if you don’t want to enter, come out to cheer on our local heroes (even spectators win prizes!).

We will again give out prizes this year for lots of fun categories like “best swim”, “burliest boater”, “best diva boater”, and “best old school move” in addition to prizes for 1st-3rd place finishers in the categories of Sport, Intermediate, Expert, and Master’s. If we can get any to enter, we’ll also give prizes this year to open boaters. We hope to have a “foamies” event at one rodeo as well…we’ll post each week to let you know which categories we’ll give prizes for that week. And wait until you see these trophies!

This year, prizes are coming from…Kelty, Paddler Magazine, Bolder Boulder, Paradise Rock Gym, Chaco, Arapahoe Basin, Patagonia, Keen Footwear, Wahoo’s, Mountain Miser, Alpenglow, Golden River Sports, Wavesport, D’Deli, Tommyknockers, CWWA, LifeLink International, Wildwasser/Prijon, Blue Canyon Bar, Optic Nerve Eyeglasses, and more!

Special thanks to Golden Awards & Engraving for donating engraving for the trophies and Casanova Design and Construction, Inc. for paying our application fees!

See you there!

danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005   #2
Is it still the normal 8 seconds this year?

howlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005   #3
Nah. Gary & Danielle being the innovators that they are really upped the ante this year...9 seconds!
twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005   #4
howlie - if you come wearing nothing but chaps and a cowboy hat, you might even get 10...
\"You only have what you give.\"
Old 05-14-2005   #5
ruined my suprise...thanks. I guess I'll give Preston his chaps back.
howlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005   #6
Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
I personaly plan on wearing more protective gear than that. I'm gunning for the big boys this year, and i plan on getting my ass handed to me. I ask that you all let me leave in one piece, i would appreciate that. I was just at the meeting for the rodeo's. And i'm amazed at the amount of work everyone has put in, and how little i have done. I promise to step it up, but i just want to thank everyone for all that they have done. It promises to be an amazing year for these events.
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #7
Time to start training. #5 is over 250 and RETENTIVE...finally.

I heard THE KID talking all kinds of smack that he was taking out the old guard this year. (I can smell Brook's fear from here) I guess he's going to have to convince mommy to let him out of the house first!

On a more serious note, after sitting in on the last planning meeting, it's overwhelming just how many people have stepped up to make this a first rate series this year. This series is geared towards every-boater, not just the super-stars. So if you've been waiting for an opportunity to get in the water and see how you stack up, then this is your chance to do it in a fun & friendly environment...Just beware of THE KID, he's ruthless.
Old 05-18-2005   #8
Just taking a moment to thank Buckeye Building Services, and our fellow paddler Stephen Yingling for his recent very generous show of support for this rodeo series - thanks Steve!

The sponsorship this year is amazing - be sure if you enter these events...you have the chance to win some really incredible prizes...and thanks to Matthew, a very cool trophy.
Old 05-23-2005   #9

Rodeo time is here and it is going to be a great season!

My wife, two friends and I just got done putting all the prize bags together and I can not believe all the "stuff" we have gotten.

So come one; come all for a great time to the GCR series, starting May 25th at 5:00

E-mail us with any questions,

P.S. Check back for the fun catagories and special event of the week
mountainmiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005   #10
Should be fun. The water's up and still rising. Brooklyn, you in?