Old 10-05-2011   #1
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
Going to Cali

So I'm headed to Cali to work a job for a couple months. The show up and job are in Sacramento. Does anyone know what flows are like at this time of year. Is it worth taking a kayak with me or will I just have to stare at it for a couple months. Space is limited, if I can use it then I'll take it. If I won't be able to use it then I don't need it to take up space.

Lin3Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #2
Boulder, Colorado
what are you looking to paddle? there is class 3 on the s american that runs almost year round. There are some october s feather (class 5) releases as well as some n feather (4-5). There are rain fed run around that area and especially up north. for more info look at

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #3
aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1957
Cali still has spots. They also do scheduled release flows for several rivers. The best site is "American Whitewater" site which gives you flows, descriptions, directions..also look under "release info"...for dam release dates. I use to work as a guide there and if this were April. i would be on my way there as well...
ducksrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #4
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2009
I'm comfortable in IV's with some V- experience. So I was lookng at the north and middle forks of the American. Looks to be the closest to the Sacramento area from what I can tell. Travel time is gonna be limited considering I'll be working 6-10's doing skid transfers onto 230' towers.
Lin3Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011   #5
Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
Never paddled Middle Fork always heard not worth it. North Fork might come in, in another month or two once it starts dumping. California is all about driving, North and South feather are close runs for Cali. If they seem to far, leave the boat. On the other hand if you would like to paddle smooth granite instead of front range mank, bring the boat.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #6
A little late on the response, but we should be getting rain out here soon. Once it rains, there is boating about an hour from Sacramento. Lots of boating within two hours. Despite the endorsement of AW (which is improving for Cali)... the main website to check out is Dreamflows Home Page . Chris has all the gauges (and estimates off of historical gauges or correlations) where as AW does no calcs, estimation or correlation and thus is only partially usefull. Additionally, Chris crosslinks each gauge with write-ups for the run... so he links to websites like mine (A Wet State - Guide to California Kayaking) ,,,, and some of the other blogs that are useful. I would bring a boat if you are going to be out here anytime January on. (December is a little more hit or miss whether the weather comes and brings the rivers in). Daniel

Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote