Old 04-01-2015   #81
GoBig, who is your crew?

Nothing wrong with pushing people when you are out on the river as long as there is good safety. I actually ask my crew to push me all the time. I want waynechorter, kato, forrest and wigston talking smack when I walk something (even though it's been ages since we last paddled brahs). I also want to know my limits and the only way to know is to push until you reach them.

Respect the river.... great advice. Sometimes with a lack of experience it is difficult to understand the consequences. I paddled 100 days in my first year of kayaking and worked my way up to class V pretty fast. Within my first year and a half I had logged about 30 days on the green narrows. Then I ran guerilla had a little flip and took 6 stitches in my chin, 14 in my forehead and cracked 4 molars. I probably wasn't quite ready for that and should have been a bit more dialed in. Don't go too big too fast. It doesn't take much skill to float on boat and enter a 5+ rapid. What happens in and after the rapid is what counts.

The runs you mention are incredibly rewarding and there is nothing wrong with wanting to get on those as soon as possible. I can tell you from personal experience that skying boofs on OBJ or greasing a line on Yule is much more fun than the "journey" to build the skills to be able to do it. Nothing wrong with your troll ambition here.

Just last week I paddled the MM up here in WA with a kid who just started last summer. It was 4x the flow he had run it previously and a swim would have been ugly. He rolled 4 times and missed a few but no swims. His confidence skyrocketed. He is super fired up to get on some of the harder runs and I fricken love paddling with people like that. Don't let these chumps discourage you from running the goods.

My only advice is not to get in over your head with a crew you don't normally paddle with. If you are going to step up, step up with people you know. You will get black listed pretty quickly if you are paddling with people for the first time and they are saving your ass and chasing your gear.

P.S. Yule is easy - try Jasper

seanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015   #82
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
If you ever get the chance to chat with Jed Selby, pick his brain. He was a hard charger, firing up hard stuff his 2nd year boating and he turned out all right or Jeremy Signorini, same thing, rad boater. There's plenty of boaters that have pushed their boundaries and been just fine, just don't be stupid about it. Swimming Class V - V+ is not a whole lot of fun, neither is breaking bones or worse. Have fun with it. Sounds like you already know how to jump off of stuff. Learn to translate those skills to boating. Sounds like you probably have the mental game but the skills maybe need to catch up. There are so many ( good / bad ) things that can happen in an instant in the middle of big, hard drops. Just make sure you're ready for it because I've also seen some pretty awesome boaters get destroyed when they weren't expecting it.

d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015   #83
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Go Big in Mexico

Just a quick update. I have been on the road as mentioned in one of my previous post. Made it to Mexico a week and a half ago. I have been able to check out some awesome runs down here near Vera Cruz. We are making Coatepec our home for the next week before heading back towards the States. It has been raining each night in the Sierra Madre and the rivers although much lower than in the fall are still pumping. My GoPro got smashed a few days ago after I combat rolled on the Jalacingo. Other than that everything is going great. Trying to find a new GoPro to continue getting some footage for a film to be created at a later date.
Can't wait to hit up a few of the bigger drops out here. Still planning on arriving in New mexico around the fifth of May. I see there is moisture streaming into the Rockies today, and that is only getting us more fired up for our return.
Go Big
Gobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015   #84
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
We await further updates with bated breath.

The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote