Old 07-30-2008   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 10
Goal to swim most rivers in Colorado.

I have set a new goal for myself; to swim most of the rivers in Colorado. This is not by choice, because honestly who the hell in there right mind would want to swim any river? So far I have had to swim:

Clear Creek: Upper, Lower, Lawson, Dumont, and last night Black Rock.

Shoshone: Beginning of season.

Numbers: Beginning of season.

Poudre: Beginning of season.

I want to send a sincere thank you to all those who have helped gather up my gear, and made sure I didn't drown. You guys know who you are. I will try my best not to swim anymore this season.

High Combat Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #2
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Haha, I've got you beat by a long shot. And I know a few other guys, too. I met someone once who said he'd swum something like 60 times one season. I bet he's on here somewhere....

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #3
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Dang dude!

Congrats! I know how you feel. But isn't swimming what we do when we're not paddling?

And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #4
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
The fall line still applies

Originally Posted by High Combat Roller View Post
I will try my best not to swim anymore this season.
I recall, from a Warren Miller movie years ago, a quote of his that went something like:

Once you stop falling, you stop learning.

I wonder if the same applies to swimming?
hojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Well I share a couple of those with you- Upper and Lawson. Most humiliating though was 2 consecutive swims on the Eben Fine whitewater course! That was embarrassing...damn early season cobwebs. Worst part was that my 4 year old daughter was watching.
To be brave, by definition, one has first to be afraid.
-Robert Harris
Seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #6
Golden, Colorado
I like to keep track of the rivers and creeks that I have run more than a handful of times but have not swam in. It is easy and fun because it is a very short list.

The one I treasure the most on the list is Gore. The day I swim on Gore rapid or in Kirschbaums is going to be a sad (and painful) day for me.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #7
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by hojo View Post
I recall, from a Warren Miller movie years ago, a quote of his that went something like:

Once you stop falling, you stop learning.

I wonder if the same applies to swimming?
I think it has to be modified a bit for kayaking. I think there is plenty of room to learn and improve that only requres a nice beat down, but not necessarily a swim...
bwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #8
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Have y'all read/heard this story? Pretty burly...
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #9
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Swim team, an honor or not?

Let's face it, sometimes swimming is part of testing limits. I once watched 6 consecutive swims from the same crew out of Double Trouble on the Big South at really high water. #6 might not have been the brightest, but then the 7th paddler made a different adjustment and punched the bottom just fine. Now, it nearly always gets run successfully.
I've personally swum two portages unwittingly, and carped out of several deep holes that were basically probing missions. That doesn't begin to cover some of my swims that were really just bad timing or bad luck. My only swim on the N.F. Payette (knock on wood), in Jaws, was due to colliding with another slower boater, flipping and getting my elbow unexpectedly pinned between two rocks while upside down, and having my boat basically ripped off of me while almost drowning. Without the boat, I could push my elbow free of the wedge it was caught in, get a breath, and then take a pounding swimming down thru Jaws. Does that really warrant derision, or a beer bootie???? I'd have died if I hadn't been torn free of my boat.
And, look at some of the UNBELIEVABLE swims below Cherry Bomb Falls that have been caught on video. Is anyone going to laugh at those guys????? That is badass enough just launching off the edge of that thing to begin with, let alone facing the prospect of possibly dealing with the gorge below out of your boat........not fun. I've watched at least 3 of those swims now, and it seems like a roll of the dice.
A phenomenal paddler, to remain nameless, related his near-death beatdown swim on the S.F. Clearwater (Golden) at super high water this year. Who's gonna laugh at him???? Most paddlers would sh*& their pants just standing on the banks of that run at that level. I think the whole beer bootie ritual needs to be saved for boneheaded swims that could have been easily avoided, and we've all had those. If we're honest with ourselves, we're all really "just between swims."
So many rivers, so little time..........
WyoPadlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #10
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Think I'll keep the notion that we're all really "just between swims." Haven't heard that in a while but definitely true! After not paddling at all last year, I seem to have "lost" my roll early on in this sesaon...but after multiple swims I found it on the Poudre! Nice posting. Swimming keeps us humble, right????? Plus....The end of day beers taste THAT much better (after the bootie beer, of course)!!!!!!!!!

ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote