Old 09-09-2005   #21
I'd like to see "go f*ck yourself, Mr. Cheney" embellished on a bumpersticker.

I think it speaks highly of our VP... Not necessarily of the fed's response (or lack of) with respect to Katrina, but of Cheney's rapport amongst the 95% of the US population that aren't served by tax breaks.

I'd slap it on my suby right next to the "Chunderboy lives" bumpersticker.

gard_nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #22
First of all, DeepSouth, Newbie, and anyone else who had family and friends on the Gulf Coast--- I hope everyone is alive and well and if I can help in any way shoot me an email any time. I spent about half of my childhood in Gulfport. For the last week I've been feeling like I got kicked in the balls. I heard from my relatives they got out of Long Beach Sunday evening.
The house my great uncle built was the only house in the neighborhood that was standing after the storm. He lost everything in Camille and the house he built after could survive a nuclear bomb. They had the whole neighborhood in the house for 5 days.
I'm going down to Lowry Tues to sort through donations of food and clothes. I plan on starting a sepparate thread with links to different organizations here in CO, where you can donate time, housing, or money. We have another 500 evacuees coming in the next few days. One concern I had was getting clothing to people that is specific to what we need for our climate. Maybe we could get a gear donation together so these people don't have to wear shitty WalMart jackets that'll rip in 2 weeks?

GagePLoungin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #23
Parker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Send a message via Yahoo to wcrocket
Another point of view

Like deepsouthpaddler I also have spent some time in S. La. I moved there as a teenager in the 60's and moved to colorado in 86. I lived in N.O. from 1978 - 1986. I will try to keep my rant fairly short.

1) You can not convince a million people they all have to leave and you can not force them all to go.

2) The crime rate in N.O. was no higher after them storm than before. The criminals were just getting more publicity as they purused their personal quota's.

3) For all the Democrats that feel this is Bush's fault: you now have a chance to make a difference. Open your own home up to some of those poor homeless Democrats that are sitting at Lowery Airforce Base.

4) New Orleans will be rebuilt as a better city with fewer criminals and unskilled workers.

5) Before the storm the majority of the residence in Orleans parish received some form of government assitance. A lot of the Cajuns are hoping that those folks will not return. They were not self sufficient in New Orleans so why should we pay to send them back?

Bill Crockett
wcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #24
point #6:

ignorance is bliss
thorndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005   #25
Typical liberal, when faced with valid and coherent arguments, call people names.

Bliss, Mayor Nagin not using school buses because he demended Greyhound touring buses for evacuation.

Bliss, the American Red Cross had a caravan of supply trucks headed for the Superdome on Tuesday and Governer Blanco had the State National guard stop them because she thought if people knew there was food and water at the Superdome, more people would seek refuge there and there were already too many people there. Gotta like that logic.

Bliss, Tuesday Mayor Nagin demanded the LA national guard be put under federal control to expedite the rescue effeort during a meeting with Bush, Blanco, and Nagin. Blanco said she needed 24 hours to review the legal ramifications of this. Mainly becuase the LA guard can't shoot citizens when under Federal control.

But none of this fits into the race baiting agenda of the Democrats and their very will accomplises in the media.
mescalimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005   #26

The response to huricane Andrew was the same as the current one, the states are responsible for caring for thier own citizens and when a crisis occurs and they do not have the resources they then request the help of the federal gov by declaring an emergency. After hurricane Andrew the gov of Florida waited 3 days to declare an emergency, --"WE NEED HELP," a front-page Miami Herald headline screamed four days after Andrew hit.--
I haven't heard personally what the timeline for the gov of La for declaring an emergency, I've read reports that an emergency was never declared. Last summer Gov Bush declared an emergency two days before a hurricane even hit Florida which set the response in motion and Florida was receiving aid the second that the storm cleared out. I was once a roommate with a guy who's father was a New Orleans cop and all he talked about was corruption in the system down there. Also the levee's have been an issue for years, Bush wasn't the first president to shoot down additional funding..
cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005   #27
Parker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Send a message via Yahoo to wcrocket
response to ThornDog

"Point #6: Ignorance is Bliss."

I have Parents and 2 Brothers with their own families that were in the path of that Storm. They evacuated before the storm hit. They have lost their homes. I have friends that have also lost homes down there and I am still trying to reach other friends to make sure they are OK. My prospective of what was, is and has been going on in S. La. is not just what I get from the Press. It is first hand and it is not based on ignorance.

Tell me Thorndog... who have you helped in S. LA? Have you ever been there? Again, I suggest that you go to Lowery and offer to help someone instead of being critical of those that are helping. Bring a family from Lowery into your house and take care of them. Then post and tell us what you learned. I will then acknowledge that you may know something about this issue.

Bill Crockett
wcrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005   #28
I have to agree with the guy that said after the storm turns the corner at Flordia & Cuba you have to ASSUME that it will make land fall on your door step.... and be a Cat. 5
If you don't you are a fool and if you don't have the needed supplies to last a couple of months or leave.... you haven't been paying attintion to the news for the last oh say forever when they have been covering any Hurricanes.

For those that have no idea what a storm like that can do think HUGE tornado....

Ever seince N.O. was put behind the Levees people that lived there knew what would happen it has been talked about for years and years "think Camile in the late 60's". Just bury your head in the sand and it will always go to the next guy...

I feel bad for those people that lost everything but don't come crying to me when your house falls down and you know you live in on an earthquake fault.
"I just stood there and watched the whole thing happen!!!"
Swim team capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005   #29
So do you Consevatives think Bush gets an A for his efforts on this? And do you libs think the locals get an A? I personaly don't see much diffrence in the lot of you. Feel like I am watching a Lindsey Lohan movie with my 10 year old!

But i would like current info. I anticipated the warm clothes need and have went thru the house and have a bunch of stuff. But was told not to bring it to lowry will this change on tue? Or should I just take it to my church mon. thanks in advance. Steve
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #30
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
mmmm....Lindsey Lohan.....ahhhhhh

Creek Boaters Like Tight Boxes
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote