Old 07-29-2009   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Go boating with Riley (7)

Since learning to roll a few weeks ago, Riley's motivation to paddle has gone way up. He asks if we can go boating daily.

To be sure we are only boating very mellow stuff and portaging anything that looks (or even sounds) the least bit intimidating. We've mostly been floating Boulder creek from 6th st to Broadway, but as flows drop below 100 cfs, he is looking for more action.

I think we may go to Golden this afternoon and see how that goes.

If anyone has younger kids that might be stoked to see him roll or older kids that he could emulate, we would welcome the company.

Safety is the highest priority, so I'd like to keep adult/kid ratios at or above 1 to 1 for now.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
There is Renaissance on the River tonight with RA guides at the whitewater park (assuming the weather holds). I work for RA and we get a lot of kids on these nights, but most are not hard shell boaters, they run the park in duckies. There will be teaching in the pond and ducky/hardshell trips running through the park for beginners. So I am sure if they see Riley they will aspire to kayaking as they should

FYI as some people like crowds others seem to avoid them, but betting there will be a good number of kids/parents/guides around to help the safety factor....

kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #3
Otter still is sans sprayskirt but paddling class 2. Probably not much help being in Carbondale but would love to have a play date on the western slope.

970 704 9710
friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #4
Boulder, Colorado
We'll be heading to Golden with Riley tomorrow instead. Prior commitments keep us in Boulder tonight, so we will be scraping down Boulder Creek if anyone wants to join.
Toni Frank
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I'm sure Haley (7) would like to paddle with him if you are ever in the Durango area. She has been doing the Animas town run to 9th street with me. I know she would benefit from paddling with other kids her age.

My son Kaden (5) loves kayaking, but he scares me because I don't think he understands some of the consequences on the river. He is always going full speed.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #6
Boulder, Colorado
shameless plug for my stuff

If any of you parents need a pair of booties for an up and comer, these are in good shape
possumturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #7
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Riley is charging - that is so cool. I got Trinity and Bella in an IK last weekend and they both seem hooked as can be.

Posted up a few pics on FB too on when you guys stopped in.

Might have to see if I can still fit in my hardshell and pull off a roll to show the youngsters.

Good Dad. Good Mom.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote