Old 09-01-2014   #1
Mad Scientist/Creeker
Gnarrows Race 2014 9th Annual

So - Gnarrows Race 2014! We've got to pull it off somehow in the next couple of days... I talked to the water peeps and we've go flows for sure through Wednesday - but after that nothing is guaranteed and the weekend will almost definitely NOT have race level flows. Lot's of people I talked to were hoping for this upcoming weekend but with lack of flows, I'm thinking Wednesday night. Back to the roots, a weeknight on the fly. Normally the champ (which has been Kurt Braunlich for the past three years) would make the official call, however he is injured and therefor other racers need to make the call and quick. This also means the race is wide open!

So unless otherwise decided - Gnarrows Race 14 Wednesday night at 5pm!

Been a great year, so great the water kind of just dropped into race levels and this is how we gotta get it done. Apologies in advance to anyone who can't make it and best of luck in your quest for the buckle!

Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014   #2
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Clever Evan, real clever. Schedule the race when I'm working, I know your games!

smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014   #3
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
7 hours posted and only 1 smack talkin reply...The Gnarrows race just isn't what it used to be!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014   #4
Rotorua, NZ
I'll bite...
Evan you only decided to have it this Wednesday because you know that I will be back in CO next week and you wanted to try to keep the buckle in the country for at least another year. Otherwise it would be coming back to enZed and you boys would have to come contest that shit on the Kaituna with me here this summer. And just to be clear I don't think that any airlines accept green-boats as cargo you long boat pussies know who you are...
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Two days notice for a weeknight event, oh well.

I'm sure Riley would be stoked to celebrate his birthday up there, the grandparents however not so much...

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014   #6
Mad Scientist/Creeker
I know, I know... We were hoping for this weekend but it doesn't do much good to have a race with no water. It's been an amazing year on the Poudre by any standard and this is the by far the longest I remember the river running over 2 ft. The first time it dipped below 2 ft was on Friday. Seriously awesome, but also hard to plan the race since not many people will show up to race above 2ft. Again apologies to all who can't attend. Next year for the 10 year we will do something special. Right now it might just be me racing against the wind so cancel work, get a babysitter, pack up the rig and come on up to the Gnarrows tomorrow! We don't need timers so at least we'll know who the winner is...
Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014   #7
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
The Fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I'll be there, loaded and ready to win once again, 8 years in a row of being the narrows champ has been fun, and I would love to see someone take my title away but I just don't think I am that kind of guy, so.... I guess I'll just have to win it again this year! If it's only Stafford and me so be it, if any of your other girlscouts want to be there tomorrow at 5 we'll have a race! See you duds there.
P the K
Paul the Kayaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014   #8
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Drop what you are doing and get to the race you sick idiots!!! Unless you are too afraid to get beaten...... by ME of course. I would love to race over 2ft. River at 2.4ft today. Lets get it on tomorrow!
drumrmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014   #9
Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1973
Lets allow a category for old one eyed guys. Start below race car and end above the bridge
maddog61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014   #10
Are we meeting at the put-in at 5? I will be there.

I leave the shit talking for the non-racers.

Nathan is online now   Reply With Quote