Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2005   #31

OK - so not much to say about suicide, but as far as the gas and pounds of pollution - you guys are missing the production and distribution portion of the pollution. come on now - use that brain up there. do you think that that gas in the gas station just shows up there? how did it get there, and where did it come from?

i thought kayakers were a bunch of ex-climber professionally educated stock option owning starbucks drinking fat asses?

OK, as long as i'm this far, i'm on the milo end of things. think of what circumstance you would have to be in to commit suicide. you all love to float down some crappy water so much, and how much freak'n emotion was there on the M-wave crap that went on last year? so i'd say you all love life alot - so what kind of frame of mind would you have to be to end it all? have you ever contemplated suicide? ever been that low? put yourself in her shoes and i doubt you will really feel anything but pity and sorrow. now does that sound funny?

fuck'n pricks may be a little harsh, but this is a damn web post anyways.

and what kind of tequila do they have in hell anyways?

Old 07-22-2005   #32
Golden, Colorado
geez, milo. Don't call us fucking pricks. I think that is way more out of line than joking about suicide. The image of someone running a class V rapid in a car on purpose is something I find funny. Yes, this situation is tragic but it is just so far out and completely ludicrous that I think it is funny at the same time.

If you lost someone and are having a hard time with it then go talk to someone about it. I won't joke about death here anymore. I'll save it for the campfire

Old 07-22-2005   #33
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I bet the 12 pounds is factoring in the refining process. But stats like that you do wonder where it came from. Probably not Exxon, but I doubt the greens don't pad the numbers. Almost everybody got an angle.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Old 07-22-2005   #34
Edge o' the Dust Bowl, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1982
About that gallon of gasoline...

Per, a gallon of gasoline weighs around six pounds. Not a physicist, chemist, or other scientific -ist, but I don't think it's physically possible for six pounds of gasoline to turn into twelve pounds of pollution post-combustion.

The environmental impact is valid here, but the emotional and relational impact around the deceased will last a lot longer.

Time to go boatin'...[/url]
Old 07-22-2005   #35
Since you asked......Gasoline weighs only about 6 or so pounds per gallon, but it uses oxygen molecules to combust creating much more than 6 pounds of pollution in the form of carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, nitric oxide, VOC's (volatile organic compounds including hydrocarbons), sulfur dioxide, fine particulate matter, etc. Notice how most all of these have some form of oxygen in the name. And I must correct myself, 1 gallon of gas actually creates about 16 pounds of carbond dioxide alone, not to mention the others pollutants.

I drive 15,000 miles per year at maybe 25 mpg, so I personally spew close to 10,000 pounds of CO2 into the air every year, plus all the other junk. Scary.
Old 07-22-2005   #36
Denver, Colorado
Yes, considered the production of the fuel, transportation, mfg of the vehicles, etc., but that was not implied by the statement. Simply like to call that kind of stuff out so it isn't repeated as fact later.

On topic; I'd take suffering any day over what I consider the alternative.

Also, can anyone give an example of something they consider funny where no one gets hurt or has the possibility of getting hurt in some way?

Old 07-22-2005   #37
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
i think that if you think this whole scene is funny-- you are a sorry prick. sure there are the car-in-rapid and pollution aspects of this, but the overall thing here is a woman killed herself
Old 07-22-2005   #38
Golden, Colorado
watch the name calling, steven. I understand if you totally disagree with anyone who thinks this is funny. So what? Don't laugh and hope that we become humbled when tragedy strikes us. We are having HARMLESS fun. You guys that are calling people fucking pricks should look in the mirror
Old 07-22-2005   #39
People do not commit suicide to gain attention--people with personality disorders attempt suicide to gain attention. Don't confuse the two.

Since she did die on a river and was in a "not so bouyant watercraft" lets's assume she became pinned and give her the same respect that we give to anyone else who dies in a tradgedy such as this. It's offensive and hypocritical to do otherwise.

Laws of physics state that it is impossible to produce more pollution matter than was originally present. "matter can neither be created nor destroyed" It remains the same and most of it is given off as water in combustion.
Old 07-22-2005   #40
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Im going to follow Gary E's last post on bashing Vail ppl. Theres still water in the rivers, get off your asses, get off the Buzz, and go enjoy life.
It sucks a women lost her life, it sucks her family lost her, it sucks other ppl have lost someone, it sucks there is oil/gas in the air and the water, it sucks theres scrape metal in the water, it sucks that the water is goings away, it sucks its 100+ in temps, it sucks............... Blah, back to the river...

Closed Thread