Old 05-22-2006   #1
Global Warming

I'm curious what people think of these ads that down play global warming.

I'm wondering if anyone thinks they have validity or if these ads work for them.

The ads are airing in 14 U.S. cities from May 18 to May 28, 2006.

stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #2
No surprise here

"With more than a $3 million annual budget, CEI is supported by both conservative foundations and corporate funding. Known corporate funders in addition to ExxonMobil include the American Petroleum Institute, Cigna Corporation, Dow Chemical, EBCO Corp, General Motors, and IBM. One of CEI's prominent funders is conservative Richard Scaife who has provided money through the Carthage and Sara Scaife Foundations. " from
So far, this institute has received $1,735,000 in funding since 1998 from ExxonMobil.
Also, their director of Global Warming and International Environmental policy isn't even a scientist, he's an economist. In fact, out of ten Staff member's bio's I read, I could only find one scientist among them (I think he's a scientist, it didn't actually say.) There are something like twenty staffers. Someone else can feel free to look at their web site and correct me. (

So, I don't find it curious that a bunch of economists
funded by big oil companies like exxon who don't care about pollution in the least ( to be fair, some oil companies like BP do invest in alternative technologies and are cleaning up their act as much as profit allows) are funding a smear campaign against global warming. Do the ads have validity? Not really. Anyone who took a college level into Biology course should be able to see through them, and increasingly those with even a high school into Biology course. Will these ads work for them? I imagine they will. Nothing the American public likes more than having complex problems dumbed down for them with the result that they don't have to think about the consequences of their actions.

hortonvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #3

that should read "intro Biology" not "into"
hortonvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #4
It's great. About time someone put up a differing opinion. Because, that's about the extent of "Global Warming" science- opinion. My roomate has wholehearted bought in to the movement. I've read through almost every Sierra Club and E-Magazine he's got and the extent of propaganda is amazing. The lack of real science is saddening.

It doesn't seem much different than the religious right. Folks beleive what ever they want to believe, whether it's in the Bible or Koran, or some soft science University study.

And lastly, how does being skeptical of the results from poor scientific process, lacking or limited evidence, and overreaching conclusions make me personally want to destroy the environment, because that's what you were gonna say...wasn't it?
mescalimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #5
Alright, once again, as a conservative in a sea of lib's here I'm taking the bait on a troll....I do not neccessarily disagree with the fact that global temps have been on the rise for a coupla' decades. I do, however, disagree with the notion that there is some sort of scientific consensus as to the cause of this warming.

The Earth has cyclically heated and cooled for billions of years. Sometimes we're hotter because the sun's burning more brightly. Sometimes we're cooler becaue of increased aerial particulate matter due to meteoric strikes. Sometimes we're hotter because of increased atmospheric CO2. But what many people don't understand is that sometimes the Earth COOLS due to increased CO2 levels. Refer here for some data:

Check out "about us," looks like a bunch of scientists on staff to me.

I know, on this site, my views are seen as ignorant, dilluded and subject to corporate manipulation. However, this is just not the case. For every paper one can present supporting human-driven global warming I can find another refuting the case. I have degrees in mathmatics and psychology. I look at my world through analytical eyes with a nod to man's penchant to revel in the extreme. We like sensationalism. We have egos. We like top think that human-triggered global warming caused Katrina and that it was only the tip of the iceberg. And, I'm sure I'll hear it for this one, liberal guilt combined with these tendencies make for an easy acceptance of man's role in this so-called pending apocalypse.

I don't portend that I'll change anyone's mind on this specific issue. But I would like to think that maybe I can persuade some out there to look at this issue as the complex one that it is. Our climate is driven by so many variables that is is almost impossible to control for only one. The Earth has a turbulant history of swift temperature change and all I am saying is that I am not convinced that the current "we did it" hypothesis has been sufficiently proven.
routter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #6
learn to swim.
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure. - Helen Keller
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #7
Metro Area, Colorado
One of the first eco-systems to be effected by Global Warming is the grasslands of WY and CO. The result is drought. Since 1990 the average temperture of earth has increased by 1 degree. Not a big deal right...the average global temp. only dropped 6 degrees during the last ice-age 12K years ago. That 1 degree increase has led to some pretty dry conditions in CO the past 15 years. If this global warming continues (regardless of cause) I bet CO won't have skiing in 50 years.

It doesn't matter which side of the fence you fall on, this is a real problem that will affect everyone. Alaska is starting to look pretty good.
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #8
Indian Hills
global warming

If global warming is happening and the glaciers are melting that means that there will be more water, more storms, right? How does that pertain to a CO drought?
The fact is that temps are rising, and the CO2 levels are going up at an alarming rate. We should not have to be scared of drought or flooding to change our consumerism. It is not just CO2 that is the problem when we burn fossil fuels. The other crap is bad or worse Sulfers carbon monoxide and particulates in the air. Not to mention our current war campaign for oil rights. Come on guys we should know that the common american will only change there ways by being scared to do it. Until we directly feel the effects of the increased level of CO2, most will never change their ways.
miker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #9
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
'Nuff respect, Routter.

The issue here is that we can't truly say with any authority that humans are or are not contributing to global warming. Anything claiming otherwise is pure religion. When I was in elementary school, we were told there was another ice age on the way. This was grounded in info from major univerisities and the USGS, long before anyone was talking about a greeenhouse effect. Now who's to say that the Earth isn't still coming out of an ice age and this is natural warming? You cannot PROVE anything EITHER way on this one.

That does not mean that we should not be cautious, though. Living greener is good for a whole lot of things and other people. So if we aren't contributing the current temperature changes, it still makes a lot of sense to be greener than we are. But let's be honest in the discourse in getting there.

Also, regarding the water out here, there is a significant body of thought that attributes the current water shortages to the possibility that the Compact was negotiated based on a 100 year average flow study that happened during an unusually wet period. In other words, it means that the reason there is not enough water in the Colroado to meet everyone's agreed rights is because everyone mistakenly thought that there was a lot more water in the river on average than there really is historically.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #10
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I wouldn't discredit the the actual finding cited, as I don't think they would run false propaganda, but I am skeptical that it discredits global warming, you can't extrapolate a singular into a universal so maybe one glacier is growing whilst many others are shrinking.

I would suggest we all go read reports on both sides of the fence rather than taking someone else interpretation.

also, there is an Economic side to every environmental issue, and the solutions are often Economic ones, so I wouldn't doubt the involvement of Economists.

tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote