Old 12-05-2007   #1
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Glenwood Whitewater Park a REALITY!!!

Heard on the radio this morning driving to work from Carbondale that groundbreaking is sometime this week and completion in March 2008!!!

Nice work everyone involved in making it happen! Can't wait to see y'all there!!!

An early Xmas present indeed!

Thank you again to all you revolutionaries armed with paddles, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007   #2
Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Curious, any idea how long it took them to get their permit from the Bureau of Rec. Palisade has the funds, plans and contractors in place, but can't get the Bureau of Rec to give it the go ahead. Everytime it gets close someone or some group keeps pulling strings and giving them the run around until prices increase enough to exceed their fund raising. Just want and idea what it takes when logic is used and other parties are not interfering.

Obviously there is more to it this far downstream (water rights) but it seems the instream flows should be sufficient. The pike minnow is the other concern but the design allows for three channels, with no where near the gradiant of the multi-million dollar fish ladder being built upstream.

DOW and Irrigation distict (don't know when they jumped on the environmental bandwagon) want a full environmental impact study. What about the natural gas wells that arrive monthly and dot the river banks upstream - logic would dictate that these would pose a greater threat. Don't see these taking years to get approvals.

-k- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007   #3
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Where will the new park be exactly?
go2water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007   #4
In continuing with previous posts, I am always amazed at the length of time it takes the Grand Junction area to move forward. As a former resident with many family members still in the valley for a city that opposes family rec centers nearly every year it is no surpise that this project is getting stonewald. The toughest issue for me is that I think the Grand Valley is awesome, they just seem to be behind the times a little in terms of adapting to needs and wants of the over all communitty. I'm sure one day when Haliburton drops of the planet the oil rigs might even disappear and they will become a little more modern in the approach they take with life, weather that be good or bad. Viva Glenwood Springs for getting this project going. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product, good luck.
brokenpaddlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007   #5
Insert Head

And Fort Collins still has its head up its ASS !
bouldrmatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007   #6
the Park will be in West Glenwood Just upstream of the Midland Avenue bridge. In non G-Whoopy Terms get off i-70 at the West Glenwood exit cross the river, turn left and park. There will be a Harley Davidson shop there soon so bring your Hog. There is also Glenwood Canyon Kayak just up the hill, Dairy Queen, Kum and Go and even Target if you want.

I was at the Ground Breaking Yesterday and They say we will be surfing by mid march.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote