I guess that link isnt working but go to

akblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #22
Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Or just read the article here:

GOCO won't fund Glenwood kayak park
By David Frey/Aspen Daily News Correspondent

Great Outdoors Colorado won't fund a proposed whitewater park in Glenwood Springs that sparked controversy when Hot Springs Pool officials warned the project could damage the pool's hot water supply.

GOCO spokeswoman Chris Leding said the rejection wasn't a result of the pool's opposition. Leding said GOCO staffers had already recommended denying the project before the pool wrote to GOCO officials decrying the plan.

"It did not have bearing on that project not getting funded," Leding said.

GOCO announced its grants Wednesday.

The city asked GOCO to help fund the park, which supporters said would be a tourist draw. Leding said staffers worried matching funds were inadequate and there was not enough support from community organizations, businesses and surrounding communities.

"That recommendation was already done before we heard anything from the Hot Springs people," she said.

Glenwood City Councilman Bruce Christensen said he was dubious.

"It seems like kind of a smokescreen," he said, "but I think the bigger thing we need to look at doing is to figure out how to get the pool to support this, because it's very obvious we're not going to get a grant before the pool drops its opposition."

Glenwood proposed a whitewater park in the Colorado River downstream near the confluence with the Roaring Fork, filled with features for kayakers to play in.

Hot Springs Pool officials said they worried digging and scouring on the riverbed could break the rock cap over the hot spring aquifer, just barely underground in spots, and would cause the pool to lose its water supply.

They threatened a lawsuit, and wrote damaging letters to state and federal officials who could have a hand in the project. Leding said they also met with GOCO officials and sat in on a committee meeting.

Since then, city officials have met with the Hot Springs Pool to work out their differences, and the Chamber wrote a letter urging both sides to come together.

"All we can say is, we're disappointed about the way that whole thing was handled and we certainly hope that a future application will get better consideration," said Jeff Houpt, a member of the city's River Commission that backed the whitewater park.

"We're hoping to work through things with the pool in the meantime," he said, "and get them to a point where they support the next application that goes in there."

Damn, that'll slow down the project. Hopefully the town and all the park's supporters don't give up.

"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)
earthNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #23
Salida, Colorado

So the park won't go right now at two rivers. I still think it makes more sense in West Glenwood. Less impact, a bike path going in adjacent to the river and a perfect spot for on the N.W. corner of the exchange.
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #24
Snowmass ski patrol
that makes sense. is the new trail going to go all the way down to south canyon? that could make for a good solo park and play run with a bike shuttle. has it gotten to the point that the original site has been written off and its time for all the advocates to purpose another idea? man i was truly hoping this was going to happen this winter and we could have super sick year round surf...... think snow.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #25
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
So, who is looking into alternative construction techniques? Is it dead even if another technique is used other than digging and dredging? Is the pool open to other proposals?
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004   #26
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
I know there has been talk as to other sites.....I personally think that might be a good choice as well. I know that the pool mentioned supporting it if it were near the midland ave. bridge in West Glenwood. With this new trail goin in, it might be feasable. The only other things you have to look at it is:

Parking (HUGE)
The money spent on the first projected site:

I do think it is feasable, and would hope that the pool would be behind it. I think where ever it goes, it will be super sick. Kinda bummed it wont be happening this year, but its all good! Keep your hopes up, send me some feedback about an alternative site if you feel:

Ben Guska

Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote