Old 11-07-2007   #1
Glenwood Springs WWP needs help

Glenwood Springs recieved bids for construction of a WWP. The cost is $900K. So far about $650k has been commited from various sources. We are going to the Garfield County Commissioners on 11/13/7 to ask for money. Then we go infront of the City Council on 11/15/7 to ask them to fund whatever the outstanding balance is at that time. If the project is not authorized on 11/15/7 it probablly won't be built this year; if it is funded construction is a sure thing.

YOU CAN HELP by drumming up more donations (every bit will help) and attending both public meetings. For more info see:
Whitewater Park Promotion 1
Garfield County : Meeting Schedule
__________________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #2
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
A $250K shortfall seems significant. $900k also seems expensive. If the deficit is not met, can the park be slimmed down to at least get something in there?

Has the town or county donated any funds to date? If so, how much?

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007   #3
I'm right 50% of the time
Paddling Since: 1977
Meeting is Monday November 13th @ 8:00am.

All Garfield Board of County Commissioners meetings typically commence at 8:00a.m. and are held in the Commissioner's meeting room, Room 100 in the Courthouse Plaza Building. 1 block off Grand Avenue, on the corner of 8th and Colorado.

If you can not make the meeting, but live in Garfield County, please send an email to the county commissioners in support of the project.

Contact Tresi Houpt:

Contact John Martin:

Contact Larry McCown:

Contact all Commissioners:
Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #4
Boof it like you stole it
G-wood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
How did it go?

So I sent my email- how did the meeting go? Did they pledge any funds? I wish I could just write a check for the remainder- I need that park!
boofyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #5
GWS, Colorado
Was this meeting today Monday the 12th? or is it tomorrow the 13th?
Old 11-13-2007   #6
GWS, Colorado
I was just at the county building and was told that the whitewater park was on the agenda for 10am this morning.

If you can make it I'm sure the support would help.
Old 11-13-2007   #7
G-wood Springs, Colorado
any word?

So did they agree to any funding? So what is the remainder $$ that the park will be asking the city to pick up? Hopefully not the full $250,000.... I did see that the coke ovens in Redstone recieved some kind of grant $$ . Damn! GWS needs this park.
Old 11-15-2007   #8
GWS, Colorado
I went to the county meeting on Tuesday. I know it is in the middle of the day but it was sad to see that there were only three of us there supporting the issue, and two of them work for the project.

They two individuals gave a brief overview of where we are at and asked the county to fund $100,000 of the $250,000 shortfall. The extra 100k would come out of the 2008 budget.

The commissioners said that they would discuss the issue at Wednesday's budget meeting. One commissioner, Tresi Houpt said that she wants to see the county pony up the extra 100K and she directed the county administrator to identify potential sources for the extra funding. I believe that at least one other commissioner would need to vote in favor of spending the money in 2008 on this project.

I highly encourage all of you to write an email to each of the commissioners encouraging them to find the extra funding and appropriating it to the park.

As well, there is Glenwood City counsel meeting TONIGHT at 6PM in the municipal building. It would be great if some people showed up in support of the project. Tonight the City is going to be asked to pony up the remaining $150+ grand to round out the budget.

If this thing gets funded it will begin construction in December, and we'll be surfing in march.
Old 11-15-2007   #9
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I sent my e-mail- feel free to plagarize:

Dear Commissioners and County officials,

I am writing to voice my support for county funding of the whitewater
park. The Colorado River with the year round flow that it enjoys is a
underutilized resource in the Glenwood Springs area. As Salida, Buena
Vista, Golden, etc. have proven, a whitewater park can be a powerful
tool for tourism, economic growth and revitalization of a downtown
river corridor. The Colorado River in Glenwood has much more
consistent river flows than any of these place. While the initial
investment may seem significant, a whitewater park is an asset that
will continue to pay dividends for years to come. If you build it,
they will come.

Thanks you for your attention,
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007   #10
G-wood Springs, Colorado
Time to Celebrate?

So I got to the city council meeting shortly after it ended. I asked a guy that turned out to be city council member, Dick Merritt( i think that was his name..) what had happened with the whitewater park and he said it was a go. The city had pledged the remaining $$ and construction would begin December 1rst. Did anyone make the meeting that can confirm this? Dick- the council guy was too busy stuffing his face with cake to take much time to elaborate. Matter of fact he was almost rude... Anyways let me know when to celebrate.