Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 12-14-2011   #1
Paddling Since: 1993
Glenwood Springs Whitewater Park Improvements

Please make your voices heard for the Glenwood Springs Whitewater Park. The Whitewater Park Committee has saved some funds that we want to give to the City of Glenwood Springs for work on the wave. They are seeking in-put from members of the boating community as to what the best use of those funds are. Please come and share your thoughts so that we can give our recommendations to the city. The meeting is schedualed at 7:30p.m. on Tuesday evening December 20th in Sopris room C at the community center.

mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #2
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
For you folks that can't make it here... Any input on how to use the funds.

My take is that the wave at high water is so good that we should not screw it up. It would be nice to have eddy access but if there is any risk in screwing up the wave I'd rather walk each ride.

If anything is done to that feature I think it should be done to the boat ramp side. This is also known as the kiddie pool. I think smoothing out the ramp that feeds into the wave could make is form better.

I know some people complain about the main feature at low water but it is really good for huge loops, space Godzilla, McNasty, and cartwheels (now I can't do all of those but I see plenty of folks who can. It is also a nice sticky hole that is great training for unexpected hole rides while river running.

My first choice would be to save the money and put it toward another feature up stream. When Glenwood moves the crap plant the confluence area will be ripe for a play spot. Adding a stationary water activity in a pristine pedestrian area seems like a good way to generate some downtown activity.

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #3
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I saw this and couldn't think of much to do to improve.

I agree that the main, high water feature is good to go and shouldn't be messed with.

The low water / boat ramp wave is actually where I get most of my time in. There is just so much available at high water that I never actually get over there. So I'm on the boat ramp wave in fall. Anyway, those of us who are there regularly in fall usually end up putting some boards across the cement river center features to divert more water into the boat ramp wave. If we wanted to make that a permanent change we could either just drop a nice big stone into the gap between the two cement pilars closest to river right, or and possibly also, we could just add a bit of rock or cement right on the right right bank to channelize the water that feeds the surfers left pocket.

Hopefully that would improve the usable flows for that feature from roughly 3300-2400 to closer to 3800-2000.

I think that money should be put towards making a great low water / shoulder season feature. There are so many features around the state that are excellent at high water, we need ones that excel at low water.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #4
I would leave the current feature alone and save up the money to put in a second low water feature. There is plenty of water there all year to make a decent low water hole.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #5
Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Another vote for a low water feature downstream!
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #6
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Low water features are key. As mentioned above, there's plenty of places to play when the waters high, plus high water never lasts long. We need something solid when the low to keep us going.
Sarge6531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #7
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
That board across the concrete blocks does great things. Making that permanent and smoothing out the low water wave sounds good to me.

Better river egress at high water would be nice as well.
knumbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #8
4CRS, Durango, Colorado
Leave the Wave alone. The lack of a feeder eddy at high water is a good thing, keep the douche bags that can't use a rope or are too lazy to get out of their boat off the wave. I have heard them bitch plenty. No eddy just means no line. I am fine with that.

Add a new feature, preferably one that is a good wave at lower flows.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #9
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote

« Ice? | Dog Delivery »