Old 08-08-2005   #1
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Glenwood Springs class IIIs

Hey again. Time for another inane Helio question.

I'm thinking of going to the CWWA Colorado Weekend (planned to actually) this weekend out at Glenwood Springs. Before I go, I'm interested in knowing what the Class IIIs are like out there at whatever flows are typical this time of year.

I've moved up to my first regular Class III run - Parkdale down on the Arkansas. I do pretty well, but I still swim in Spikebuck on occasion because it's so shallow that I freak (not sure I can roll, but I don't). And as a paddler, my bracing instinct is undeveloped.

I really don't want to do class 2s this weekend. I've heard of Shoshone out near there as a good Class III for me. But is the water level this time of year forgiving? Intro Class III is right where my ability is - my roll is super solid mechanically, but my experience rolling in odd places (shallow, big waves) is what causes me to swim at times.

Are the water conditions going to be conducive to me having a good time? What's the Colorado like compared to the Ark (my only river experience, basically).

heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #2
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Shoshone is at about 1200 cfs right now. This is a pretty standard runnable non-spring level, it is usually about this level most of the summer after the runoff tapers. This is relatively forgiving level, enough water to find several nice lines, not so much as you will take too long of a swim. The rapids are pool drop, so if you are in for a swim, things calm down for a while before the next drop at this level.

Best thing about it for you is that the bike path runs along side of it. Park and walk the whole thing (will only take about 20 minutes to walk, it is a short run) and check it out. Afterwards, if you want a longer run, you have a mellow class II section for a few miles down to Glenwood where there are a few play spots.

I know the section well and could give you pretty much a play by play if you want to send me a PM and let me know.

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #3
e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
You'll be fine, it will be wake up call having current pushing you around, but the swims are easy. have fun, go for it.
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #4
IMO - the cemetary run on the roaring fork is a much easier III than shoshone, and ends right in glenwood.
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #5
Hey heliodorus04,

I'm a buddy of Gordo's - I'm familiar w/ your MO because I monitor the Colorado Springs Msg board. I'm also going to the CWWA weekend, was hoping to run Shoshone with someone(s), esp. late Sat or Sunday. If you've been running Parkdale, Shoshone is less tricky, just bigger. Maybe we can try to find each other and look into a run. For sure there will be other folks at the camp wanting to run Shoshone.

blazeboy is offline   Reply With Quote

class ii, class iii