Old 02-03-2009   #1
Lakewood, Colorado
Glenwood/Eagle/Vail/Summit housing

I have the opportunity to transfer to a position in this area. My territory would include Summit County, Eagle County, and Glenwood to Aspen. I think my time would probably be split pretty evenly between Glenwood/Aspen and Summit/Eagle. I can live anywhere in the territory, and I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the housing situation along that corridor. Our first preference is Glenwood, then east with Summit as our last choice. We will be renting, at least at first. We don't want to live in an apartment complex. I looked in the Glenwood paper's ads and it seemed like housing was limited. Is this due to ski season? Any help is appreciated!

mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #2
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
hopefully helpful

Glenwood would probably be the most affordable. I would think that availability in all of these locations is limited right now due to ski season. However, availability is the highest I have seen in the 3 yrs I have lived in G-wood. I don't think prices have really come down yet but like I said more is available, or more importantly isn't going as fast. Glenwood has the plenty of nearby water (CO, Roaring Fork, Crystal) and skiing if your into it. Good Luck.

melted_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #3
Eagle is definitely the cheapest in that area.
phillersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #4
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
No way, Glenwood is cheaper than Eagle, especially if you demand a single family home. I live in Eagle, and it is a cool place to live though. Especially if you like mountain biking. The Eagle River is right there too, and 25 minutes or so to Glenwood.

Gypsum is cheaper than Eagle. If you have to live in single family, and don't have the budget for Eagle, Dotsero has a community at the confluence of the Colorado and Eagle rivers. There is nothing else there though.
It takes a big man to cry...It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

-Jack Handy
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
How about Carbondale or Minturn cost wise? Has the construction work dried up or is it still going semi strong up there?
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #6
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Living in new castle and the drilling is drying up but that don't mean the prices aren't your first born. I would say thats a deal though cause then its one less room.

Personally i would look for something in carbondale, nice little town. Then maybe glenwood. You are right at the wave and the kind of in the middle.
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #7
Lakewood, Colorado
Thanks for the help. We won't be going until July, I'm hoping there are more options then. I really like Carbondale and Basalt (and Aspen for that matter), but given how much time I'm going to be spending east I'm thinking Glenwood may be better.

Does anyone have any housing resources for the area besides Craigslist and the local papers?
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #8
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
I would take the extra ten minute drive to live in carbondale over glenwood. Did I mention White house pizza? that alone makes c-dale worth it
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009   #9
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Go for Glenwood, C-dale Basalt and Aspen are alot more and you could get a place for the same amount with a yard and garage. And russos pizza beats all the Pizza places in the Valley. Careful of cardiff Glen all the house's look the same and are right on top of each other
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009   #10
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Check out the post independent website classifieds, Then under paper select Glenwood/Aspen or any of the others. Mountain Regional Housing (Link)
is the affordable housing group for the RFV. Carbondale is coming down in price. Duplexes starting at $375K, but I bet lower as we get closer to summer and people want to move. I did see a 3 bed rental for $1600 in Missouri Heights in the paper last week.

somebodiesdad, give me a call if your up here sometime

Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote