Old 11-27-2015   #11
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
Yep, I have learned on a few previous trips to the SW that elevation matters more than latitude. At this point, I'm thinking about starting with Black Canyon on my way down to the Gila, Salt, and San Juan. All low-season or pre-permit. I should be arriving in the SW by early January and not heading back north until the Owyhee and J-B start running in late April/early May. I plan to boat whenever and wherever we get decent weather/flows and in the meantime, I'm happy to go hiking and/or visit historical sites and museums. Right now, I'm taking advantage of Black Friday deals to buy some new gear (cameras, GPS, etc.) Damn, this is getting exciting!

landslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015   #12
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Black Canyon or Gunnison Gorge?

There is a big difference.... GG is 3/4 depending on flows. The Black is 4/5 with long mandatory portages. Both are likely to be frozen over soon for the season.

Although I suppose you could be referring to Black Canyon of the Colorado....that sounds like a pleasant mid winter float.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015   #13
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
Black Canyon of the Colorado below Hoover Dam. Low elevation, Class I, hot springs, good hikes. Should be pretty quiet in January. (I hope!) I am still trying to learn all the different rivers/sections you guys have available in the SW, so forgive me for just saying "Black Canyon" when that isn't specific enough. (And while Black Canyon of the Gunnison looks awesome, Class V is above my pay grade.)
landslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015   #14
Cave Creek, Arizona
If you make it down here to the Salt, give me a shout. The day run is fun, but I want to get in and float bridge to bridge. I might be up for other runs in the SW as well depending on when and where.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote