Old 02-28-2007   #1
Gila River??

I'm looking for beta on the Middle Fork of the Gila. I'd like to do a 3-day self support at the end of March. I know the flows are very ephemeral.... What is the lowest that running this stretch is reasonable?

So obviously this isn't epic whitewater, but I've heard it's gorgeous, lots of hot springs.... Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks!!

hydro_mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #2
check your pm

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #3
Slummit County, Colorado
I ran the Gila on a self support trip back in early May of 03. One of the most amazing and remote places you can visit. I put in just below the Gila Cliff Dwellings and floated all the way to the town of Cliff, New Mexico. I spent three nights on that section but could have easily done the trip in two nights. Take out as soon as you can, because its a long float with very little whitewater and the final ten miles that I ran were loaded with aqueducts and barbed wire fencing. Considering there was no visible snow and no rain for weeks before I put on, I expected to drag my boat most of the trip, but had decent amount of water for paddling. If I were to do it again I would take a canoe.
haretheboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #4
upper middle fork of the gila

anyone interested? this section is about 10 miles above the cliff dwellings and requires effort. let me know...
Hydroholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #5
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
When are you looking at going and how long are you shooting to do it in? I can usually be talked into river trips of all kinds.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #6
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
yea, I'd be interested in doing this river also. I've had my eye on it for a while
jballen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #7
upper middle fork

im heading out of denver on the 21st of march (evening) and coming back on the 25-26th... im looking to run somthing out of the norm in az or nm.

ive noticed that this particular area has about 95-85% on both snow pack and accum precip, so if the temp picks up down there (which is likely) the middle should be good; there are plenty of feeders in the upper stretch as well.

so im guesing that the run will take 2 days minimum due to the length; i was wrong before, the run is about 23 miles. but looks real sweet on the map and the gradient isnt too bad...

Hydroholic is offline   Reply With Quote