Old 06-02-2004   #1
Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Giardia anyone?

Hey Mountainbuzzers,
Has anyone out there ever gotten giardia while paddling? I currently am playing host to some sort of intestinal parasite that I have yet to formally identify, but it reminds me of a summer tryst I had many years ago with giardia. At that time the source and date of infection was clear, not so at this time. However, I have been spending a lot of time in three Colorado rivers ever since they started flowing. I must have picked it up that way, but I have had no problems in my previous two seasons. I know what the treatment is, but anyone out there have any ideas about prevention. OOOPS-gotta go

Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004   #2

Try not to smile so much when your paddling.

yarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004   #3
Power Forecaster
Send a message via MSN to ringer
That might be a hard thing to do when the rivers are flowing...
ringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004   #4
in a van down by the river, California
Paddling Since: 1974
giardiasis and fecal coliform, heavy metals unionized amonia

"oops I shat myself again"
Colorado's Streams have many enemies.
When the streams get treated wrong, watersheds are polluted, aquatic life suffers and your health is in danger too.

Colorado's Threatened Streams:
and read what the EPA knows about (you'll have to guess what they're missing out on)
We all should care about what is being dumped/leached and pissed into Colorado's amazing creeks and rivers. We need to defend the creeks and rivers, they cannot defend themselves.
I think that pollution has gone too far when kayakers are shitting like mad indians as a result of paddling local streams.
kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004   #5
Hey, you can tell from the EPA site that the Fort Collins crowd is at least not shitting in the Poudre. Yea!
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004   #6
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
i am not sure if this will work but it seemed to work for me in guatamala and ecuador......i took chewing gum(partially chewed) and soaked it in tea tree oil..... i then enjoyed the gum while paddlin'.....i felt this would help kill anything that was creeping it's way into my system... a new piece every hour on the hour....i had been worked over by a prehistoric strain of giardia from the black canyon of the gunny.....we did not wait long enough on our water tablets.... also while paddlin' in the U.K., i was turned on to the old coca-cola thing... drink before, during and after....who is tough not to swallow water when playing in a hole, huh?!?!? giardia likes beer more than kayakers do... hard to believe

milo is offline   Reply With Quote