Old 03-09-2010   #31
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Originally Posted by Ture View Post
I don't think I'd go too overboard to make the first few trips seem like a Carribean cruise unless you like being someone's servant for every raft trip from here to eternity and praying every trip that the weather cooperates and nothing bad happens to upset your prince or princess.

I'd have the newbie help rig. Have them lift 1/2 of the raft rubber out of the back of the truck. Get them on the oars in the flat water, show them how to set up and take down the groover, get them involved to see if they like the real thing. Nobody wants to be on a private trip with someone who acts like a customer. I guess it would be OK if all you did was boat with your family but if you brought a high maintenance spouse along on a group trip that would be painful for the rest.

The last thing I want is to be in the boonies with things going wrong and I'm with someone who doesn't want to be there. If someone starts whining when things get ugly then they immediately go on my list and they are the one I'll hit in the head with a rock when we run out of food.
There's definitely some truth to that!!! You have to balance...if a little bit of work here and there isn't in the cards.....then maybe the whole idea isn't (unless you don't mind doing it all yourself and refrain from group trips).

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #32
303, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
A bottle of Jack!!!!!!

"I would lick it up if it weren't all glassified and on concrete"
CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules