Old 03-08-2010   #21
Grand Junction, CO
Buy the raft and deal with the aftermath. That's what I did, we split up the following fall and I now have a great GF who loves to raft.
Worked itself right out! ; )

"Or just shut up and boat. " ~willpaddle4food
Scary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #22
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985

My then girlfriend now wife was getting into kayaking. Tried to find water where I couldn't foresee problems and partner that with hot springs. I'd try to think of some of the springs not occupied by naked yeti types as well.

Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #23
I just bought the boat and it ended up costing me new furniture of equal value. She's never been on the boat. Just fine with me. I love separate vacations.
eukwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #24
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
My husband wanted to boat so he took guide training and all was more or less ok. I got to take it the following year. He thought he was getting a good deal until I started becoming more interested in rafting than he was. I swear I could eat breathe and sleep rafting. Now he gets a little huffy because I get many more trips and invites than he does.

Seriously though, let her see how much fun it is in a comfortable environment. She should come around.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #25
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Put her on the sticks and let her pull the shaft. Thats all it took for me. She rows the pools and I row the drops. Great deal for me.. Oh, hey, I allways give a little extra back rubbing and pay more attention to my wife than my friends when I want her to play. And I never ask her to clean up after my messes on the river. I do everything and she loves it. When I make her number 1, she can't help following me around. Thats may trick that dad tought me a long time ago.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #26
mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Rent a boat. Invite your wife's friends. Do a warm, mellow flat water float. Your job is to guide, cook, and generally sacrifice yourself as a manslave for the trip. Encourage one of your wife's friends to do a "spa" day. (Sun shower, manicures, pedicures, all the different scents of doc bonners, sarongs, cocktails with umbrellas, etc.)
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #27
Eagle, Colorado
Ok, I have to put my two cents in. If your wife enjoys the outside and has the tiniest sense of adventure, she'll love it. Borrow or rent one, do a nice, warm, float trip. Pack everything you can fit. Buy her a paco pad. Bring a crazy creek chair so she can be a comfy bow flower. Delicious food and cocktails, firewood. I was a big kayaker before I had kids, now I love the raft because we can all be together on the river. Car camping without the car, and the roads that get you there. Beautiful scenery, wildlife, sunshiney beers. An initial investment, but low upkeep after that. What more can a girl ask for?
mommydevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #28
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by mommydevo View Post
What more can a girl ask for?
Here is what my wife ask for: A hotel suite on the beach and an oiled cabana boy bringing her drinks.
possumturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #29
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I think Andy's got it right......convince her that rafting is like car camping....because it pretty much is....with a little more work. The LUXURIES!!

I got lucky, my wife was a kayaker before we getting her into rafting was pretty damn easy. Now I have a hard time prying the oars out of her hands because she's so excited to get good at it.....which is pretty awesome....just means more kayaking and fishing for me!!!

Don't do a guided trip....get some friends and do a nice, easy float with a few splashes on a hot day....have some drinks and good food. Keeping her warm is HUGE. Throw a few hints in there about how fantastic it would be to do a nice, romantic over-nighter with just the two of you on a full moon night.... and how you'll take some steaks, a good bottle of wine, and a monster paco pad. Done deal.

I don't necessarily agree with the "don't teach her yourself" thing. Maybe not kayaking, but rafting is do-able. I feel better letting my wife learn kayaking skillz from other women, but I/we have no problem on the oars. But maybe you're wife will be perfectly content riding the bow and marvle at her husbands awesomeness in dissecting the river (cause we all know chicks dig good oarsman).
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #30
Golden, Colorado
I don't think I'd go too overboard to make the first few trips seem like a Carribean cruise unless you like being someone's servant for every raft trip from here to eternity and praying every trip that the weather cooperates and nothing bad happens to upset your prince or princess.

I'd have the newbie help rig. Have them lift 1/2 of the raft rubber out of the back of the truck. Get them on the oars in the flat water, show them how to set up and take down the groover, get them involved to see if they like the real thing. Nobody wants to be on a private trip with someone who acts like a customer. I guess it would be OK if all you did was boat with your family but if you brought a high maintenance spouse along on a group trip that would be painful for the rest.

The last thing I want is to be in the boonies with things going wrong and I'm with someone who doesn't want to be there. If someone starts whining when things get ugly then they immediately go on my list and they are the one I'll hit in the head with a rock when we run out of food.

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote