Old 09-11-2008   #31

The fact no-one has yet replied that they've done it themseles. may be the most important piece of data you're going to get (smile).

Rich Phillips

richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #32
C. Springs, Colorado
How about strapping it to a mountain board.......(you of those skate boards with the all terrain tires.)...........and tug tow and/or ride it down?

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #33
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
OK, since Rich is no longer saying it, I will. You might get some good advice from folks on the yahoo groups of GCPBA and RRFW, lots of folks that have been down, more rafters/catters than anything though. but lots of people with lots of trips.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #34
Rich's Poor Excuse

Hi Laura,

That's what happens when you see a post on the fly, and answer without all gears fully engaged.

By all means, try posting over at for more than 2,000 folks who know a lot more than me about the Grand, and just may well have dealt with this issue before.

Have a good one.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #35
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I don't see what the big deal is with your group/TL. takes about 1 minute to secure a kayak on top of the rest of the gear and it only weighs about 50lbs (not gonna make a dent in a 1500lb rig). I've strapped many a yak on my S$%t and it didn't make enough of a difference in my rigging/de-rigging for me to bitch about.

Yeah, I guess I'm usually the guy that says......"I'll take it". I don't see what the big deal is. Is there not ONE oarsman on that trip that'll be willing to toss it on everyday??? Pretty easy IMO. I've never done the hike (but will in November). This is an interesting thread for me as I plan my ACCENT (not taking my kayak though).

I guess being both an oarsman AND a kayaker sways my opinion.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008   #36
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 89
Kayak Humunga Hike

Big Tuna--There are a couple of options to getting the kayak to Phantom. Wheels aren't legal because of the mechanical device in a wilderness thing, unfortunately. Also commercial trips aren't running at that time but science trips are. And those are some sad, poor sons of b--. Offer them money and they will jump on it like two bums fighting over a bologna sandwich. Try USGS in Flagstaff. Try wildlands council in Flagstaff, and there may be one more. Also, try other trips. I think there's something like 60 trips going that month. I wouldn't care abit if you gave me your skirt so I could Squirt. Pay me? Forget about it. Done Deal. While we are talking payment, I'll hike it for $500 cash, check or CC. If you come a few days early I'll give you a job running shuttles so you can pay me

It doesn't have to get there right at your launch day. There are places to store it. Put out an auction for runniing it down through privates from Jan-March. It's sure to garnish a handful of japslaps on this forum but it's incredibly funny listening to the creative banter! A gift! For all!

Brady Black
Moenkopi Riverworks

Originally Posted by Big Tuna View Post
I got invited on a GC trip in March and can only make the second part of the trip. I have never hiked in to phantom ranch and was curious about a few things:
1. Has anyone ever hiked in their gear and yak in to Phantom?
2. What is the hike like if I have all that gear? Is it realistic? How long would it take?
3. Are there companies that will get my gear and kayak down there? Raft? Mule? If so which ones and how much do they charge?
4. Any suggestions beside the obvious (which I can't do) of running the whole ditch?

Any knowledge on this would definitely help me out.

moetown is offline   Reply With Quote