Old 09-08-2008   #11
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
i did the hike last year and maet the rest of my crew at phantom. i carried a very small backpack and a peli case with camera gear in it, and absolutely wouldnt have wanted to carry more.

something to seriously consider...if the rest of your crew isnt willing to strap a kayak to their raft rather than having you lug in down 4000 vertical feet from the canyon rim, is this REALLY a group you want to go spend however many days in the canyon with??

Yeah, maybe it would be better to wait another 10-15 years to get invited on a trip. The hike isn't that bad, don't let everyone talk you out of it. I did the hike because I didn't feel comfortable asking someone to look after all my paddling gear for a week because it is a lot of trouble for somebody else. If you're in decent shape and if you pack light will not have a big problem.

HelenDamnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #12
Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Heck of a still start!!!!

When the river stands in awe of me as I do her, I'll know I'm a kayaker.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #13
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Originally Posted by DurangoSteve View Post
A mule that types. Very cool! ...
Naaaa...aaaaawww, Can't type. My computer has Voice Recognition, and it translates Mule.

wat'lthey think of next...
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #14
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
I hike the canyon all the time and I would never want to carry a kayak. If your friends won't take your boat, maybe at least the rest of your gear? I think it can be done, but it would suck. But that's just like my opinion, man......
boatingbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #15
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
2 thoughts

1. Tell 'em to stow beer and other consumables for the first half of the trip inside your yak, and provide a good cockpit cover. Really not much worry to rig it crosswise at the front or back.

2. If you're actually goofy enough to try to get a yak down to Phantom from the Rim, get one of those trolley set-ups with all-terrain wheels and devise a waistbelt harness (i.e. a pack waistbelt that connects to the trolley thing). I built similar rigs for skiing with heavily-loaded pulk sleds— not rocket science. But it might be a test to get it around the switchbacks. Or, you could probably get the boat and gear packed down on a mule (for $$$).

3. Or find a different trip.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #16
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
you could also just screw the yak-pack and do the classic willie kern, "im gonna fucking carrying it johnnie, im gonna shoulder it, im gonna drag it, and occasionally im gonna throw it down and do one of these numbers and stretch my arms"
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #17
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Find some other assholes to go with. Asshole.
Your opinion doesn't matter when you're already biased.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #18
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
There's always the IK option, that would be easier for your friends to pack down to Phantom to you. It could be deflated and tucked away in the bottom of the boat for those 8 days or whatever. A hardshell yak on a big boat that has to be loaded and unloaded every day would be a drag, unless you do something REALLY special for them! Boatmen/women can often be bought!
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #19
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I can't believe that everyone on here thinks that hiking a kayak DOWN HILL is such a pain. What a bunch of pussies. You must all be rafters.

Did I mention, it is down hill?

Just put the thing on your shoulder and start walking. By the time you are over it, you'll be too far down to want to turn back. By the time you are really over it, you'll be close enough to muster a second (or fifth) wind.

Baiscally, suck it up.

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #20
Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
In the old days we hiked Sport yaks in at whitmore every fall. Until they decided to make that part of the park. We had to make 3 trips, one with the boat, one with the food, and one with the dutch ovens. We couldn't walk down hill the rest of the trip, but the river was sure great! Ron.

When the river stands in awe of me as I do her, I'll know I'm a kayaker.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote