Old 11-12-2005   #1
Get this book !!!!

"Swiftwater Rescue" by Slim Ray

A very well written rescue manual that doesn't just cover ways to get to people in need of help.

It also explains how the river flows and why the water does what it does, then the best methods to get help to the person that needs it.

Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #2
Wow........ Slim Ray has a book on swiftwater rescue?

sundown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #3
Not everyone that comes to this site is a class "hardcore" boater like some of the regulars and don't know everything there is about kayaking.

All of the shops I have been in refer this site to their customers as a reference source for information and that includes the new boaters too, which in turn helps out the business by supporting the advertisers on this site which inturn helps out you the class "hardcore" boaters by supporting the boat manufacturers and gives them the money to design those new "hardcore" boats that you will post about over and over again.

The business of kayaking relies on the new boater and they need to be welcomed and given as much information as possiable to keep them safe and returning to the sport, with their friends so your local shop can stay open so that class "hardcore" boat and video's some of you enjoy can afford to be made.

Weather you like it or not the recreation/lifestyle of kayaking is going to move away from the "Sport" and the Mountain Dew Gen X'er Hucking them self off of the highest waterfall, toward the family.
Just look at the Jackson way of marketing and the line of boats for the family. It is a sign of the times and will be good for the sport/lifestyle.And everyone will benifit form these changes.
Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #4
pnw, Washington
Rasdoggy, it is sarcasm. Simple and direct. Most everyone that takes a SWR rescue class has this book or one like it. Even a 'family kayaker' can detect sarcasm, right? Get over it and move on.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #5
Scott was just trying to help out some newbies like me. You guys could throw a little respect his way. He does a lot for us beginners.
chadmckenzie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #6
Dude, I was kidding. I was making a joke, not social comentary. Relax.
sundown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005   #7
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ras, thanks for the recommend..I've been boating for years and don't have a SWR book. I I'll buy this one and read it.

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote