Old 06-23-2008   #1
Commercial Paleontology
Get Some-Cottonwood Creek/Straight Canyon

Hey folks I said I'd post when this thing started running & as of this morning @ 7:00 am it was running 363 cfs & rising slowly...2-5 cfs per/hour. The book says 250 cfs is the minimun & 450 cfs good play comes in but have heard from folks now who have paddled it down to I think they said 190. So it should be good to go.

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #2
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 02
Yeah man

Its good to go. Was down there Sat and Sun. Bony on Sat 10 inches higher on Sunday. Also, if you make it out there you gotta hit Left Fork of the huntington(before it is gone). Used to have 8 to 10 portages. 1 crew a week ago and mine this weekend have it down to two. Go get some before the water drops.

God Bless SKA Brewery-Sturgeon General
C-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #3
Commercial Paleontology
I'm Telling Ya

I was over to Straight Canyon yesterday & did a couple laps. What a gorgeous Canyon & the water really is an awesome color of a light jade/emerald. I drive almost 4 hours to get to the Ark Numbers & this run is more beautiful than the Numbers hands down, So if you have the time..don't miss it .The flow was about 385 cfs. A little more water would have been nice but for a first time run & the 5 star quality we all thought it was well worth it. We felt the rapids at that level was class III water with a couple easy class IV- moves. At 700 cfs+ it would be rockin. Easy scout & bike shuttle which you could hitch on the weekends but don't count on it during the week. The first piece of wood mentioned in the book can be skirted river left at this water level so hike your boat up the dam access to add some more beauty. No other wood issues. We took out at the anglers parking look which makes the run half as long but that's the better water. Nice trout in there to if you fish.

We did do a bit of scouting on the Left Fork of the Huntington ..It looked a little low but really fun but we ran out of time for that one.
MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote