Old 12-03-2009   #1
Get Outside And Learn Something

Hello whitewater enthusiasts at the buzz-

Please take a moment to read this important post- it represents the culmination of two years of hard work, and holds potential to truly impact the lives of many young children.

I’m posting to let you know about a new non-profit organization that I’ve launched called G.O.A.L.S.- Get Outside And Learn Something. The organization will provide opportunities for students between 5th and 12th grade to take part in multi-day river trips. Participants will learn a great deal through involvement in a G.O.A.L.S. program- ranging from school subjects and wilderness ethics that have been strategically integrated into the G.O.A.L.S. curriculum to leadership qualities and valuable outdoor skill sets that can be utilized for a lifetime. They will also make a commitment to stewardship- designing and implementing a service project in their community to earn their spot on a G.O.A.L.S river program.

G.O.A.L.S. represents a culmination of the two things I am most passionate about- teaching and exploring the wilderness. My own drive to create the organization has developed for two primary reasons. One is the positive impact I have witnessed first-hand in students with whom I work that have been involved in the outdoor education program I created at our school (please see for a slideshow from last year). The other is a troublesome perception that today’s adolescents are not interested or active in outdoor recreation- due in large part to the fact that they don’t have as many opportunities for guided exploration as many of us did when growing up.

I believe strongly in the potential for this organization and the lasting impact that it can have on thousands of kids in years to come. I have worked hard to build it from the ground up- partnering with an array of like-minded individuals and established organizations to ultimately make certain that this evolves from just another great idea into a sustainable, respectable, and valuable program. I’m asking for your help to keep this momentum rolling.

The organization aims to raise $40,000- a target which will allow us to launch low-cost programs for no less than eight different groups of participants in various river canyons throughout our first year. This figure is certainly attainable with your help. If you feel that:

- kids today deserve more chances to get out and explore the wonders that exist outdoors
- wilderness expeditions create unique opportunities for leadership, teamwork, and healthy risk-taking behavior
- comfort and confidence developed in the wilderness at a relatively young age inspires an individual to return to and care for natural environments throughout their adult lives

then please visit, click on the DONATE button and show your support of a quality organization who shares your outlook. Your generous assistance will be recognized on our supporters page at

After donating, please make other people in your lives who might also be so inclined aware of our mission, and our needs.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Brett Hochmuth
Founder and Executive Director
G.O.A.L.S. - Get Outside And Learn Something

bth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #2
This nonprofit in Idaho has been doing something similar for years:

About - Wild Science Explorers

cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Brett, aside from donating, how do we get our kids involved or signed up and do you need volunteers to guide? I also ran a similar program for a short time and would like to make this available to my students and would be interested in volunteering myself.
Thanks, K
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #4
Mesa, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
I saw a group of students doing this in Deso last year. It has been part of their HS program for years. Very desirable for the kids. So much so that they have a lot of requirements to fulfill to go.

Kudos to you, what a great way to help society and the children!
Whether U Think U Can, or Think U Can't; U R Right!
scooby450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009   #5
Hi K-
In order to get involved, you'd need to find someone at your son/daughter's school to fill the role of Program Coordinator. We've got a list of people interested right now, and will be hosting parent meetings next fall/winter to sign up groups for launches in 2011. We're only launching two programs in 2010 and they're already full- this year our mission is to find raise so that we can ultimately fund all of our 8 programs using the trip cost formula on the site in 2011.
Feel free to keep emailing me with any other questions-
bth is offline   Reply With Quote