Old 10-01-2009   #11
Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by ec View Post
Just like I teach my kid...take good care of your stuff, otherwise you won't have stuff! I would never leave anything like that and expect it to be there when I wanted it back. Too many goons with the finders-keepers mentality out there.
Same here. I would fully expect for that stuff to be stolen. I am very suprised it didn't happen earlier.

When my car is parked for shuttle NOTHING is visible in the car. Junk is in the trunk and valuables are in a dry box/bag in the stern of my kayak with me on the river.

I have lowjack in my car.

I never leave my gear at the takeout when I run shuttle unless someone sits with the gear. I always use a cable lock on my boat when it is parked at work.

I lock my car when I get out to road scout something that is 100 feet away from my parked car.

I never leave my garage door open, I never leave my gear in my front yard or in my driveway, my garage door is always locked.

Almost every single stolen item post I see is from someone who doesn't do these things.

You cannot enable thieves. It just encourages them. I hate thieves. The only thing I can do about it is to not give them candy like that.

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #12
Oak Creek, CO (noon bell, bitches), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
"this is why you don't have nice things" it sure would be convenient to leave your skis at the bottom of the hill so you didn't have to carry them from the car... but... would you?

ritatheraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #13
mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Maybe I misread your post. Did you want info on your missing stuff, or did you want people to preach to you about leaving your stuff around. Please clarify.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #14
Yup, I am a naive jackass. I paddle an All Star with over 20 pounds of gear for taking photos, I recently got a Speeder so now I can take everything including the Deep Cycle battery and solar panel.
I tell my kids to not leave their shit around, blah blah blah. The point was intended to be - I tucked my gear away tightly between rocks in a spot that is rarely accessed, and it got ripped off. I'm not a thief and don't expect the boating community that boats Browns at 240 CFS to be thieves either, maybe the summer Joey but late season low water boaters I don't expect this.

You are all right - shame on me and I should quit crying. But really? come on, why you gotta go stealing someone's stash?

Weak, loser, and just plain rude will be my opinion until someone can offer a good reason why it is MIA.
luckyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #15
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Maybe you know it alls who never leave anything around cause yur so damn smart can teach yur kids not to mess w/ shit that aint theirs. If you take some ones stuff even if aint locked down yur a thief! wut goes around comes around
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009   #16
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
if you come upon a stash of gear and think it is fair know its not yours so leave it be and quit being a thief and trying to justify it. we all love the river and should have respect for it and each other.

ps all you guys contradicting and justifying must have a thief mentality to begin with
stumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #17
FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Bummer you lost your stuff. Kind of puts the pale on the river community. An added bummer because now you have to carry all that gear with you on a daily basis. Or maybe buy cheaper stuff and don't sweat it.
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #18
C. Springs, Colorado
Fu...'n thieves........they all need to be sodomized till snot runs out their noses.

On another could be fisherman or someone other than a boater in the canyon during these low water months.......till you find out's hard to put the blame on one group.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #19
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I bet it was a fisherman. Those guys are worse than terrorists.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009   #20
Flg, Az
Paddling Since: 1984
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Maybe you know it alls who never leave anything around cause yur so damn smart can teach yur kids not to mess w/ shit that aint theirs. If you take some ones stuff even if aint locked down yur a thief! wut goes around comes around
I dont lock anything up, my front door isn't lock , my truck isn't locked, camper shell isn't locked.

If its not yours, don't take it!

relikpaul is offline   Reply With Quote

browns, browns canyon