Old 08-24-2007   #1
ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
GC spot(s) open

okay, so here's the deal. Im not the permit holder, but have gotten permission to seak out qualified people of interest, with a desire to hit the big ditch in Oct. 08'.

our goods:

3 swift water rescue instructors, and a RN.
I row a 16' maravia, there will be another 16' cat, and several 14' rounds.
all expedition gear is taken care of. going to be a good one, im sure. lots of lay overs, and laid back.

what we are looking for:

RAFTERS first.............sorry kayakers. we are looking to lighten our loads a bit, and you aint helpin that.

GC experience a plus, but not mandatory.
big water skills
swr,medical,chef,massage, etc.would be great.

basically, we are looking for someone(s) who can add to our trip, not just fill a spot.

if it sounds good, PM me. Im looking for a basic river resume, is all.
if it looks good to me, I will call, we will chat, and if you make it thru my gauntlet, I will send you to the chief.

Expedition Gear Rental
oarbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #2
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Hi, Bender, been down the ditch 4 times. Guided for twenty here in Durango. Been to the Gauley and spent a winter guiding in Chile on the Futaleufu. Love the Canyon. I'm a WFR and have a ton of class V exp. not only rafting but kayaking too.
Pretty laid back. Can cook for 16 pretty well.
Give me a call

hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #3
Hi Oarbender,

You also may want to post over at

Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association

The GCPBA Yahoogroup has 1.700+ people on it, and many of them are likely to fall in the category you're looking for. The second link is to GCPBA's web site trip forum, where there's a section for putting together trips as you are doing.

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips

Join Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association at Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association
Click on "Join", and support active, ongoing private boater
representation on Grand Canyon issues. And follow GC issues on
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002

Thanks for posting a worthy topic. I have never been down the Grand but would love to go. My big water experience is somewhat limited (Westy, Yampa, Lodore, Payette) but my oarbending skills are not. I have organized several week long trips and would do more than my part in helping the group plan and organize this trip. You can ask anyone that has been on a trip with me that I pull more than my share of weight on and off the river. All the gear required is not a problem nor is carrying gear on my 16' cat. I have a sweet stove that works great for cooking for large groups as well as a groover w/ an extra tank. I'm not opposed to hauling shit either, if that matters any.

DanRauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #5

I too would love to hit the big ditch in Oct 08. Your trip sounds great. What I can offer: I have a 14' AIRE. I have most rafting accessories including a nice kitchen, deck table, partner stove w/blaster, groovers, a new Yeti cooler, & other stuff. I ran the Grand Canyon in 2001. I've done about 15 wilderness rafting expeditions throughout the west in the last 7 years. I attended/completed Mike Mathers advanced swiftwater rescue course last month. I have had the experience of doing both technical and non-technical raft rescues in live situations. I work in health care and am a a licensed respiratory therapist. I've been camping since age 2 and love the desert environment. I say these wilderness river trips have 3 elements to them: The canyon, the river, & the people. When all 3 are great, a river trip is the greatest life experience. Thanks for considering me for your trip!

altakaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007   #6
ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
good deal guys.Im going to be away from desk for the next few days. Im just going to let the list of interested folks build on this thread, and i will be getting in touch probably, mid week or so.

Just a few more details about the trip.

again, no real need for anything team gear related. maybe a few items, but thats not going to be a big deal at all. 99% of it is already taken care of.

we are planning a run to south cove, and I failed to mention that in my earlier post. ( as that my limit, or add to someones interest in the trip)

all of us are mid 30's.....
we are planning on shopping our own trip, but renting large coolers from either pro/or canyon.

the majority of the group, ( at this point) already has vechile logistics for the drive to the ditch figure out. You would be resposible for getting to and from Flagstaff, to hook up with our shuttle.

we are putting on Oct 31st. and a MANDATORY pirate outfit is required for launch day, and maybe a few theme parties along the way.

thats all for now, and agin, I will be in touch.

thanks for interest, chat soon.

Expedition Gear Rental
oarbender is offline   Reply With Quote