Old 12-13-2012   #1
Mesa, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
GC in Jan

Hey Buzzards!

A friend got on a private trip with a group of hikers he I begged on the trip, as I have never been able to get on the Ditch!

I am not sure of the experience level of the group and now I am having trepidation. After reaching out via email I am still not clear as to the group dynamics.

16 people, 21 days....they are an experienced back country group with lots of canyon experience but not rafting....

I have strongly suggested everyone wear drysuits....some are not planning to. The TL has some experience rafting the Canyon but I am not sure as to what level.

I am looking for any insight as to what I should expect.

Whether U Think U Can, or Think U Can't; U R Right!
scooby450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #2
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
You can't be the TL. You don't know everyone and they likely won't answer to you anyway. Hikers can be a lot more independent/introverted than your average whitewater boater. That said, voice your opinion once, then let it go.

Haven't been...yet...but what I'd do:

Pull more than your weight, pack a spare drybag with warm clothes to loan to the dumb people who inevitably get semi-hypothermic with no drysuits; be the solid, quiet, stoic crazy boater dude.

Start a journal, listen to your iPod, play guitar, etc. by yourself if the camp dynamics are wierd.

Take plenty of video. Provided nobody dies, come back and share the carnage vids with your friends on the Buzz.

Enjoy the trip!

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #3
alta, Utah
TMartin & his group have good info here

Rafting Grand Canyon

Things would have to be pretty f'ed up not to have a good time in that place. Having a Drysuit is recommended but, maybe your group includes ppl who are really hearty?

The people rowing/paddling the boats must have "on water" experience. That's the part that would concern me.

barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #4
Mesa, Arizona
Great responses,thanks, that's what I'm looking for. I have read the recent threads and read the rrfw,gcpba,fb page, and all other sources I can find. The TL has GC river experience but I don't know how much. I am interested in knowing what the others in the group have regarding river experience. Thanks for defining a hikers persona, helps out.
Whether U Think U Can, or Think U Can't; U R Right!
scooby450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #5
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Actually it doean't take much for f'd up trips to suck. Who you are going with and how experienced and prepared they are is as important as anything. I'd bag it and go with boaters. Work hard to network, there are lots of trips out there.

Stuck in the ditch i jan with freezing knuckleheads? No thanks

If you are already having reservations , take that seriously. Wait for the right trip assuming it's not something you will get to do a lot. Why take off 4 weeks now vs work it and wait for a better group?
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #6

A frank talk with the TL/PH seems indicated.

Riding a raft all day in cool temperatures. Metabolism slow from just sitting. Wet from rapids. Not much sun. Everyone but the person running the boat is going to be cold if they're not properly clothed.

After that talk, you've got to make up your own mind about how much of a risk you want to take when there is a probility of your trip quality -- and group safety -- being diminished by what could turn out to be marginally equipped folks.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #7
Heltown, Montana
I feel a lack of communication amongst your group, needs to change. That's the only way to solve this one.
Billy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012   #8
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Been on a hiking based trip. if you are a boater and not a big hiker i would suggest looking for another trip. crappy camps weird layovers and some really long days to be expected. everything will probably be scheduled around hikes and will not make much sense to a normal boater. by the time i ended my HIKER trip the word hike made me wanna puke! But still had a great time two of my best friends on the trip we just hungout and did our own thing. Bad dynamics we did not speak to the TL PH for the last week or so.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............................
rehamxela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012   #9
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Being responsible to, but not for each other means that everyone on the trip must be honest about their Class 4-5 experiences; if they are just planning to follow the TL, please consider another trip, when trip expectations, experience and safety are being honestly communicated.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"
2tomcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012   #10
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I did a trip last December and was grateful to have a drysuit even though I was rowing my own boat. Everyone on the trip had one in fact. Some non boaters on the trip bought drysuits off of ebay or from Kayak Academy and then resold them afterwards for almost same price. I think a drysuit is a must while I have some friends who swear you do need them even in January.

salsasean is offline   Reply With Quote