Old 08-07-2006   #1
Gauley Trip

Planning a Gualey trip- at this point it seems like it may be more reasonable to fly than drive... Anyone flying - where is closest airport to Fayatteville, WV- Right now planning on flying Denver to Atlanta and having some southestern friends take us the from Atl to Gualey- any suggestions...

nkellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006   #2
Charleston WV is about 1.5 hours to the airport (planes are to small into\out of Charleston to carry a boat irregardless of paying the oversize luggage fee). Last year we shipped our boats DHL for about $50 each way.

Pittsburg is about 3.5 hours and has many more flights. Plus the option of running the U. Yough on Friday or Monday if you schedule your flights right.

"Forever indebt to your priceless advice" -KC
DirtyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006   #3
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I remember the Pitt-Gauley drive as more like 3 hours, but you get the idea. I've done Charleston and Pittsburgh a couple times each and I much prefer flying into Pittsburgh. You can't take boat on a plane into Charleston - at all - as DirtyWater mentioned. Pittsburgh has way more flight flexibility and if you buy early you can get tix for under $200 (for next year obviouxly). And you get the Yough if you want it, only about one hour out of the way on your drive. We're sorta hoping for rain and a detour to the Cheat this year...

Unless you really have the time and want to road trip with your friends from ATL, I personally would never fly into there for a Gauley trip. Tallulah, yes. WV, never.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006   #4
Look at flying into Charlotte, about 3:00-3:15 drive, plus the WW Park is slated to open in the first week of september and it's 10 minutes away from the airport. Lots of other places to paddle near by, that is if it ever rains again here.

If anyone is interested shoot me a message and I'll send you a link to our local board.
ncpat is offline   Reply With Quote