Old 09-06-2007   #11
monument, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
to the first timers

Couple of us "1st-timers" will be there festival weekend.

(1. Any particular campgrounds one would recommend?)

For camping, well it is getting close to that date and hundreds of people come out there to be on the water. If you need to be really close to the Dam. Remember you float down stream (ha) so you’ll have to drive in any case. But look in to the event camping. Check out AW’s page for the event, they have links. I am not sure if you are going to be staying for before or long after the event. Camping may not be aloud after it is over.

(2. Does one just stagger back to the car after the band each night. Is it Woodstock style camping?)

Yes if you stay at the fest. There are about 15 rafting companies that have campgrounds. I work at ACE and I will stay there. They are the furthest away from the dam (about an hour on a bus, less in a speeding car) PS watch out for the cops, 1 mile an hour over they will ticket you. About 153.00 us dollars.

Ace has some advantages as for access to the NEW. If you have not paddled it, I would. When the river is running over 5 feet on the Thurmond gage, it really is not much fun for kayakers (my opinion as a raft guide) Too much water, no real play spots. If it is in the 2feet and under, more fun. Get to know the river from a good book reference or someone in a boat who HAS run it before. There are a few spots that you can easily get trapped. Easily enough to avoid.

(3. Is the New River worth paddling at these levels before Gauley cranks?)

Depends on the levels, and it can change over night. I remember once season it was running about 2.5 feet and then since there was a hurricane off Florida, the river was 11+ feet the next day or so. Just be prepared for anything. My opinion is, if you are a creeker, this is a big river compared. The river drops only 22-30 feet per mile.

(4. Do they start releasing water at 1am Friday the 21st? Is there any residual flow the day after a scheduled release?)

6am, the AW web site can give you specifics, each day. Unless the lake is unusually full, they will shut the water down in the evening. To be honest they run the water out of the dam all season long. Some seasons it is 2-10x the flow of the Gauley season. Two years ago, in June we had 20,000 out of the dam. ACE has some video that will be playing at the Lost Paddle lounge on property during ‘G’ season, if it is not playing, as the bar tender they’ll hook you up, Ask for John.

(5. Do they sell beer on Sunday's?)

I can’t remember for sure. I think only at bar / eating establishments. G fest (the sale and bands and such in the field is only Fri / Sat. Check the AW web site (American Whitewater - Welcome)

(6. What river in CO most closely resembles the Gauley?)

I am new to the CO area, I have asked a recent acquaintance and he says that Gauley is a bit easier than Gore, but harder the Royal Gorge. If you do not know where you are going down stream, just make some friends with some of the video staffers and they should direct you in to some good safe paddling. I know that I have had a swim or two under a good looking rock.

hykerwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #12
monument, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
as for the water temp.

I suppose I do not know what it is here (temp) but I can tell you that it about 50-55 F. The water is coming from the bottom of a 70-90 foot deep lake.

The river "G" can be safely and enjoyably run in a kayak at 500cfs. They should be releasing 2200-2800 cfs for the G days.

Check the river flows data tables at USGS and see what it is running. Typically on a good year it'll be releasing 600-5000cfs weekly all year. That is just to keep the lake level for party boaters.

hykerwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #13

I was on the New last week and it was super low, most people in the area say that they have never seen it so low. There is one play spot called Flea Flicker that is kind of a pourover. If you need to get out, it works but it is not good, by area standards. If your coming out to run the Gauley, chances are you will be bored on the New at these levels.
boyImean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #14
Beer on Sunday after 1 p.m.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #15
Avon, Colorado
Gauley Fest Parties

I'll be rolling down to Gauley on Sept 20. for the festival weekend. I'm bringing my RV and mechanical bull and will be set up in the middle of the festival grounds. Stop by for some free swag and a chance to dethrone the world's best mechanical bull rider on Saturday night.

If you need any whitewater paddling tips checkout my website, Grab Your Nuts. So grab your nuts, it's go time! See you all there.
Edward-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007   #16
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Comparing the Gauley to stuff in CO

The easiest thing to say is that noting in Colorado compares well to the Gauley. Not that the Gauley is better or harder, just different. 2800 cfs coming out of the dam plus tributaries can easily equal 4000 cfs in the rapids after the Meadow comes in (starting with Lost Paddle). Nothing in CO except maybe Cross Mountain gets that type of flow over big rapids on a regular basis. The meat line on Gore rapid is definitely harder than anything on the Gauley. The lines on the Gauley are bigger, it gets run in 16' commercial rafts everyday, but that dosen't mean it can't kick your ass. Because the Gauley has so much more flow eddy lines and eddy fences get a lot more interesting and the higher flow is just more powerful. The Gauley also has more undercuts and a few spots that have killed on multiple occasions. Check out AW's accident reports.

There are two rapids that many people consider class V on the upper Gauley: Insignifigant and Lost Paddle. There are over 100 rapids on the 26 miles that include the Upper and Lower Gauley. But in between the rapids the Gauley often looks like a lake with barely any current. Also expect lines of rafts above the major drops in huge eddies/lakes. Pine Creek might be a good difficulty comparison to the harder Gauley rapids. Run the Lower Gauley first and if you feel good go for the Upper, both are classic runs. IMHO.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote