Old 06-24-2008   #1
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Gates of Lodore! and kids?

I have a permit, but also kid's as young as five for the event. Is it a kid friendly float? if so, at what flows. The kids love to boat, but haven't been beyond class III. anybody's experience or advice will be apprieciated.

JamieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #2
, Colorado
The water is pretty easy. Just a few class III rapids and one class III+ (Hell's Half Mile) but besides that it is a beautiful float in a wonderful canyon. If you do it in the summer, the raft may bounce around alot because it can get a little shallow. Bring ALOT of beer because there is some flat water.

Boofington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #3
It's a great float for the famly. Have them with a competent boatperson, have them walk hells half mile, scout triplet. Medium or low flows would be fine.
vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #4
Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
water's cold too, but

it's a great trip. I've had my kids down there. Lower water is safer. 2000- would be safe. Can get rocky below a 1000, but easy to miss stuff except the rock in Hell's half.
When the river stands in awe of me as I do her, I'll know I'm a kayaker.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #5
, Colorado
I've been down there a couple times. If you have room on your permit for me and my special lady, I'll show you down. I've got a 16ft NRS raft that gear can be put on to.
Boofington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1901
Boofington = Creepy old naked wierdo and his naked lady friend. Probably not the kind of guy you want around your five year old and other kids. He'll show you more than just the lines - Yikes!
cuzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #7
Not to mention a drunk.
cmike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #8
D'ango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Plenty Good

At low flows, very managable section of river. Can be bony in some spots making for chance of the old bump & fall, so kids keep a foot under tube, all good. Hell's and Triplet have easy trails down river left for scout and kid portaging. And now the Boof has taken it a little far...trying to be sneaky & get his ugly naked ass on a family trip?! BOO! Ban that retard.
Bornwithatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008   #9
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
As a former guide I can tell you that Lodore Canyon is an awsome family trip. If you can afford it pay the extra money for the extra day. Most of the side hikes are easy and short. The rapids are mellow but rocky. Bring along J.W.'s book The Exploration of the Colorado River and it's Canyons. A good wild flower guide and a good geology guide. The petroglyphs up the road in Echo Park are some of the most amazing ones I've ever seen. Enjoy but be respectful the canyon may look harsh on the outside but it is really very fragile.

rustybobby is offline   Reply With Quote