Gary-Mountain Mizer Riot Magnum input - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-07-2005   #1

Gary-Mountain Mizer Riot Magnum input

Looking for any and all input on Riot's new creeker, the Magnum. Feel free to through in facts/opinions about every detail. Outfitting, new plastic... You name it! I looked at one in person on Friday and must admit it looks like a damn good boat, but please advise....

James

bhodizypha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #2

Magnum

James,

Try these sites to ask your questions;

www.flowpaddlers.com

and

www.paddlehut.com

You can direct your questions to Paul Twist, he is the RIOT USA team manager.
mountainmiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #3

James, I saw one this fall and liked the look so much I bought one without paddling it. I have not been disappointed.

Best creeker I've owned to date and so far all of the outfitting has worked and held up--pretty much a hassle free boat from the get go. As mentioned, it's a looker and everyone picks it up and ogles it. I've had it out regularly all through December and January in CA on everything from micro creeks in the Bay Area to big water runs in the Smith River drainage. Me=5'10" and 180lbs.

Here's what I like about the Magnum: the bow has lines similar to a Phat (I went through three Phats and loved the boat) but the chine on the Magnum gradually tapers into a true planing hull on the stern, like a surf boat almost, with a nice bevel to allow control when deflecting from rocks or playing off them to get a good boof. The minimal stern rocker makes it super fast and allows for solid edge control in big, confused water. It's got that 4WD feeling when running over mank, but doesn't get swirled or spun around in big water eddy lines, boils or diagonals like most 4WD boats (when I say 4WD, I'm using the Dagger Gradient as my benchmark, displacement hull, pickle-boat that would climb over any mank you decided to bomb). To top it off, the Magnum is a relatively lightweight, easy to shoulder boat. I have no complaints in the two months I've owned it.
Hartje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #4

Hey Hartji, glad to hear a good review from another Phat phan. Does it have the same continuous rocker that promotes excellent boof control? Does the plaining haul in the rear inhibit good roll off (side to side) boofing or get hung up on rocks like true flat bottom creekers? Does it sink to the deck like a micro when you have the contents of a full wet-bar inside ? Solid Phats are getting hard to find these days you know.
bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #5

Hopkins like I said, it plays the rocks well--if you play that game. You used to bust on my Phat, then you show up in CA saying it's the best boat you've ever had. At 72 gallons versus 62, or whatever the old micro 240 was, it carries Jagermeister like a champ
Old 02-08-2005   #6

Hartje, If I said anything bad about the Phat, Its because I was just a stupid Kid back then . In those days It was a new radical design with short demensions and hard chines. Now days Its an antique, so I can let myself paddle it. I've been paddleing one for 3 years now (I'm on my second one) and I couldn't find a boat to campare to it. Anyway, do you remember the volume and length of the Phat? I'm curious how it compares to this Magnum guy. This could finaly be the holly grail.
bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005   #7

Phat was like 8'5" 62 gallons. Magnum is 7'11" with 72 gallons. Your pretty excited about the Phat still huh? Not to mislead you but the Magnum doesn't paddle at all like a Phat, it's a much higher ride and loads faster. It can also surf. I just think the bows are similar. The Phat liked to wheelie sometimes no matter how far I jammed the seat forward and paid attention to my posture. It sucked at loops and ollies too.