Old 07-20-2009   #31
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Hello Chris, I got your email this morning and saw your post. I have sent you info to contact me via email. I do have a new number on our site and I got your email no problem. Great to hear your cooler has been working for you. I look forward to getting it back in action. Sounds like you have a first generation cooler. We have a great upgrade for that latch and welding on a new rope handle is a breeze. We should have you up and running in no time. Thanks and I will talk to you soon.

Next I am finishing up a little promo for promos sake. Hope it finds everyone well and Highme gets to read it before he goes on the river.

GalaxyCoolers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009   #32
Durango, Colorado
Hello to all, Galaxy Coolers coming in for some promo. I have to say Highme is right. Yeti is a great cooler and those guys have done a great job at helping develop these products. This is technology that all the current high end cooler manufactures have worked on. It has given us a new level of cooler from the demand for long-term ice retention and durability in the paddle sports industry. The main comment I want to address from the plug is the comment on Yeti smoking Galaxy. That is not true. Yeti’s and Galaxy Coolers have the same Inner and outer walls, the same insulation and for all intensive purposes the same seal, Yeti’s is hollow and Galaxy’s is solid. These are the attributes that keep ice longer and both do a great job. There are triumphs and failures when it comes to this from both camps I have heard them from my customers and their customers alike. Go to any river with private or commercial boaters and you will see Icee-Kool/Galaxy Cooler owners who are super psyched at the unprecedented ice retention from their coolers.

The differences come in the areas like the latches and the bottom of the coolers. Back in 2005 at the first Outdoor Retailer tradeshow I attended, we were and still are in very active development forums with leaders in the Paddling industry. This was because when we first landed on the great shores of our rivers, the Grand was our first stop and we were determined to do what it took to achieve success in this market. The result from this has been to not do what the marine industry wants, which was to use rubber latches so it doesn’t scratch their sweet ski boat, we use Stainless Steel Compression twist latches. These are the same type of latches that have been used on dry boxes for many years. These latches cost us more but don’t worry you can’t tell from the price. Rubber stretches, watch Big Bald Mike (the 500lb guy form the yeti video made by Highme and another of Yetis paid entourage) even he can stretch it. It takes a padlock to keep a Bear out. If you read another thread about Galaxy you can read how a bear in an uncontrolled environment tried to get into a Galaxy Cooler for hours and was completely unsuccessful. The Galaxy stayed closed and the treasure inside safe with Stainless Steel Compression Twist latches alone, no padlock (what if you dropped that key on a trip deep in the wilderness with no camera crew around).

The other strong difference in our products is on the bottom. Galaxy Coolers uses skids and extra thick feet made of Polyethylene Plastic on the bottom. Yeti uses rubber feet. Granted both have their own use and reason for application. Rubber feet will not slide around and can be great on the deck of a lake or ocean boat. I have been told specifically by rafting experts they do not like this because when you do have to slide a loaded cooler that can weighs hundreds of pounds the feet will simply rip out and you have a hole in the bottom of the cooler. So Galaxy does not rubber feet, we weld on extra polyethylene, like a ski base, and one man can slide a 210qt cooler as far as need be ready to be lifted into position for the long and thirst quenched journey ahead. The only place I think I am beat is the slot for the cam strap they have. Galaxies have options for tie-downs, and lets remember the paddlers motto, Rig to flip and drink to …actually lets stop there, rigging to flip means over the top anyway.

On customer service I want to mention an important factor behind purely replacing a cooler, two words less waste. The beauty of roto-molded coolers is that they can be repaired and maintained for life. If a cooler that is damaged can be repaired to keep the perfect functionality going I am all for it. That is what I am after. I think it is worth it to keep big honking chunks of plastic out of the landfill and on the river providing excellent results for our families and friends forever.

Galaxy Coolers are the Best and the only thing that will smoke us is a slab of sweet Ribs or tofu.

It’s Better When It Lasts Longer.

Galaxy Coolers

Old 05-01-2010   #33
Foco/Red Cliff (Vail), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I stumpled upong this thread while researching coolers. I know it is old, but I try to actually search and not start a thread for a question that is out there.

Galaxy Coolers: I like them because they are a Colorado company? Sounds like they are made in the (Far) East somewhere which is too bad but I do understand. I am a bit dissapointed about the warranty being dialed back on workmanship. I am a bit disturbed by the comments on this thread as well. Sounds like Galaxy came through but it is frustrating for a customer to have to go through that. Oh yeah, the price is solid!

Yet: Seems like they make a great cooler, but they are priced much higher. They also have a 3 year warranty

Engel: NRS sells these (among others) I don't know a lot about them but they look like a quality product as well.

Still trying to decide, any additional feedback would be great!
milehighassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #34
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1997
I'll respond by saying that I recently had a GREAT customer service experience with Galaxy coolers (Marty). He's a good guy who means well. If I were you, I would not hesitate to purchase a Galaxy.
BLott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #35
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Had their cooler for 8 months now. The cooler swam Surprise/Skull and Bowling alley upside down, when I turned it back up it was a pain in the butt opening the lid because it compressed closed so much. Basically there was absolutely no river water inside after a long swim. Another thumb up for Galaxy.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #36
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
I had the worst experience with IcyKool customer service. I had one of the metal latches break on my cooler and when I called to inquire about getting a new one in the mail I was treated poorly and never did receive the latch. The handle also broke off and they told me that I would have to ship it back to Colorado for a fix. Fuck that. I ran a piece of webbing through some pvc and made my own handle. They straight up don't bother returning phone calls or emails and don't seem to give a shit about customer satisfaction. My cooler would probably keep ice longer than an Igloo Marine grade, if it could be latched! It is also delaminating on the inside.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #37
Durango, Colorado
Sounds terrible, you must have been dealing with some asshole that used to work at Icykool/Icee-Kool. If you still need a latch send an email to We would be more than happy to help you out. I want to apologize for any part of poor service. Things have been pretty tough for a small business over the last couple of years but Galaxy Coolers is really trying to make amends and reform as a better environment for the customer and no more delaminating. Please give us another chance. We look forward to hearing from you.
Old 05-01-2010   #38
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
Thanks. Sent you an email.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #39
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'm still waiting for a cooler that I ordered and paid for at the end of the year. My emails and phone calls have gone unanswered. Still waiting for a reply.

Galaxy cooler guy????????
Karma is like this: If we set causes in motion the effects come back to us.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #40
Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1983
Originally Posted by rwhyman View Post
I'm still waiting for a cooler that I ordered and paid for at the end of the year. My emails and phone calls have gone unanswered. Still waiting for a reply.

Galaxy cooler guy????????
He was in Durango as of yesterday. I had some friends who talked to him about a cooler. It was the typical "I don't have the one you want, but I will give a great deal on the one I have here" situation. Try calling him again. The number on the website is just his cell number.

If you paid with a credit card I would reverse the charges and move on.

He has a great product, but the worst customer service I have ever heard of. Properly run and with an effort to get into the coolers for sport fishing boat business (the thing that keeps all the high end cooler folks in business) he could probably make some good money and own a good chunk of the market. Unfortunately he does not reply to e-mails, has a generic voice mail and a mailbox that is often full, and seems to be oblivious to the whole thing.

There is a reason why he has (to the best of my knowledge) no retail dealers anymore. I run a retail shop (not boating related) and we would never do business with anyone that operates like he does. hell, we get a better response to phone calls to the Amish (as in they don't use electricity and at best share a phone for the whole community) furniture company we buy from.

I sincerely hope Galaxy can get their act together , or sell their product line to someone else who can.

gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote

coolers, galaxy