Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-31-2012   #1
Denver, 303
Paddling Since: 2010
GA. Paddler road tripping to CO. Needs a little advice

What's up everyone? I am new to the forums (hope this is the right section) and have been paddling for about two years now. I currently live in Georgia but my wife and I are moving to Colorado in October, we will also be road tripping to CO. for 10 days in June. I know that the flows can be pretty intense during this time, and I plan on hitting a few play parks along the way. I will have two novice paddlers with me who will be looking for a mellow float (something that can be handled in a rec. sit in kayak) Maybe a Class II- at the most for them. I have researched many of the rivers and runs throughout the wonderful state of CO. but I am having trouble finding any info about mellow floats (kick back with a few drinks and enjoy the scenery). I checked out tubing websites because I figured those would be the best shot at something calm, but I have had no luck yet. We are staying in Breckenridge and will be driving as far north as Estes Park, and as far west as Vail. Anything within a couple of hours from Breck would be perfect. I am looking for anything 2 - 5 hours on the river. Thanks in advance.

peaceloveandbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #2
Denver, 303
I was looking at the Lower Animas-Trimble Bridge to North Durango it is a class I+ and is 11 miles long. I was wondering if anyone knew of any shorter runs that could be made on this stretch?

Old 04-01-2012   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
This was sent to Chris via pm, but I thought I would go ahead and post it up here to bump the thread, and in case there is anyone else looking for the info...

Good morning Chris, I think I can help you out....

Normally June is peak of our snowmelt, and when the rivers around here are highest, but this year is looking to be the driest in a decade. If things keep going with the current weather pattern, we will likely be looking at small peaks on all the Colorado drainages earlier than normal (probably early May), and they will be at either low levels, or a few places will have dam release.

The Colorado River from Burns to Dotsero would be a good option. Class I with a few II's, good camping and scenery, as well as multiple access points.

The Arkansas would have a couple options, but they are all going to be in the II+ realm, the first stretch there I would look at is Big Bend to Salida.

Another option would be the Wagon Wheel Gap stretch of the Rio Grande (from below Creede to South Fork), or from South fork to Del Norte.

There is one stretch of the South Fork South Platte where beginners start (Deckers, aka Chutes). It is pretty much solid II, with one easy III, but all roadside.

There are a few other options that are a little farther away from you, including the Colorado River near Grand Junction. The Gunnison above the confluence with the Colorado. Lower East River. Lower Taylor (at low water). Lake Fork Gunnison Box (II-II+, but beginner friendly), and the Animas above Durango (Baker's Bridge).

Oh, a couple more include the Eagle River below Wolcott and Grizzly Creek to Glenwood Springs on the Colorado.

There isn't much in the central Mountains on the difficulty level your looking for, too much rock, and too much gradient.

Hope that helps.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences. https://garna.org
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #4
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
One of my favorites while learing was Grizzly to Glennwood Springs. The canyon is beautiful and Gwood has some great mexican rest. to restock the belly after boating and enjoy a beer.

Best of luck,
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #5
Denver, 303
Thanks for the help! Time to research.

Old 04-01-2012   #6

Isn't the first 4 miles of Gore Class II?
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #7
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Of course, you're going to have to learn to drink REAL beer if you're moving to Colorado!~
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #8
Denver, 303
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
Of course, you're going to have to learn to drink REAL beer if you're moving to Colorado!~
Georgia has a few decent micro Breweries (Terrapin in Athens, GA. being my favorite)

With that said I am looking forward to Colorado's beer selection almost as much as I am its endless choices of rivers.