Old 03-08-2006   #1

Hi all!

I've been thinking about selling the centrifuge for some time now and recently spotted a G-Ride 6.5 for sale that looks to be a nice replacement. Problem is, I've never paddled one. Does anyone know anything about them? Are they comfy (I'm 6'2" and 190)? How do they compare to the centrifuge? Can they do those little flippy things in the Salida hole (that looks really cool)?

Thanks for the help!

On another note, I was sorry to hear about the recent events in NC and want to send out my condolences to the family and friends.

Dallas Blaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006   #2
pnw, Washington
If you are used to a centrifuge then I think you would feel like you were in a tub if you moved to the g-ride. I think it is only a beginner boat without much in the way of edges or control. Since I have not conquered the loop at this point, I cant tell you if it will loop but I would bet it would due to its shape and volume. I would steer you toward the kingpin though, i think it is a much better play and river running boat.

gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006   #3
thanks for the reply. I was wondering, since the G-Ride doesn't sound like such a great way to go, what do you think about the Kingpin? Do you think that someone 6'2" can squeeze into the Kingpin 6.2 comfortably?

Thanks again!
Dallas Blaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006   #4
I got a better idea

Forget those decked boats they're too easy. Get a canoe and swim it down the miracle mile.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006   #5
pnw, Washington
I would go with a 6.3 and yes i like the kingpin and yes they leak but i enjoy mine.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006   #6
howdy, I've paddled both boats and both are great. I am 6'1" and about 210lbs. The kingpin will out loop the g-ride (out cartwheel and all other tricks as well) but I sold my kinpin and kept my g-ride. Don't get me wrong the 'pin is a better play boat but the the g-ride is a GREAT runner/player, and yes the g-ride will loop big, it's just harder to do. If you are looking for a big guy playboat I would look around at all the options and than don't worry so much about the price of the boat you want. If you pick the right boat it will treat you well for several seasons if you pick the wrong boat it will treat you baddly for a few months till you buy the boat you should have gotten in the first place. For freestyle I have been paddling a Bliss-stik Rad 185 for almost two years and I plan on paddling it for at least one more. Happy hunting...
casanovaracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006   #7
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
The G-ride is more of a river runner that will play a bit. Great for spinning in holes and will cart wheel a bit in a hole (boppy), it is by no means a wave boat. Kind of slow in front surf to be honest. If you are looking for a good used rig that plays try the Kingpin instead. Although they look similar they are very different. The G rides volume makes it better for river running. The Kingpin will be more playfull.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote