Old 06-28-2004   #11
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
I googled "giving false names" and "supreme court" and read the various new articles about this. It seems the law says that if a police officer asks for your name you must give it or be arrested. None of the articles mentioned Longmont Rangers...

FWIW: maybe we should let this cool for a while. If you go before city council and they talk to the rangers they could get an earful about asshole kayakers lying about everything. I think part of the problem is that one of the rangers somehow got ahold of CRCII and read the part about succesfully using aliases on UNSV. They are wise to the scam and specifically mentioned the info in CRCII last week.

badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004   #12
Thanks for everyone's input. I got a bunch of people from the Cwwa and we are going to put together a plan and will post once we've figured it out. Just a little more info though. It was actually the ranger who we were talking to who suggested going to the city council because he thought they might be willing to let boaters paddle across the res. So I don't think we would be stepping on his toes by doing that. He seemed to want to resolve the situation and let us paddle, but his superviser wanted the policy as it stood to be enforced. I don't think there's a negative view from the rangers of getting the policy changed, I just think they are doing their jobs enforcing what it is.

Arn, if you have contact info of people you have worked with, the CWWA is looking to get in touch with a few people to find out what the underlying concerns are and get a few people's opinions before we address the town concil so hopefully we can propose something that mitigates their concerns.

The ranger that we spole to was just fed up with the situation as I would be if I had to enforce a stupid policy and people were giving me crap about it. When you talked to him he was really quite helpful with suggestions on how we could get the policy changed. So I think in fact we owe it to this poor ranger to try and get this passed so he doesn't have to deal with the same crap next year.

(I think I've learned my lesson about volunteering to run NSV shuttles...)

kayakingkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004   #13
Denver, Colorado
"A friend on mine" rode down to the parking lot in the ranger's truck and he turned out to be an alright guy. He was definitely annoyed with the situation and I got the feeling he didn't necessarily agree with the current city ordinance concerning kayaks on Buttonrock. Too bad about him losing his temper though... I think he was well into overtime when he had to deal with our group and I think your ordeal wrapped up about an hour after ours.

I would be willing to attend any council meetings. I can be contacted at 720-244-0075.

Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote