Old 01-03-2008   #1
FYI- Good News for Gunnison WWP

This fall, the Gunnison White water park got a major face lift. In its 5th year it needed some drastic improvements to its features which all but disappeared. The last two seasons were very disappointing due to both scouring and infilling which rendered one of the waves in-operable and the other hardly worth the trip. Gunnison County recognized the need to re- vamp the park and got Gary Lacy back on board to fix it.

This past November (2007) the work was done and should prove to be a great feature one again. The boating community here is very excited to see how it turns out this spring.

onebakedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #2
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
BITCHIN. One more reason I'm stoked to make Gunny my new home. Thanks for the good news.

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #3
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
they didnt do that much work, maybe a day or two's worth, they moved some boulders around and did some minor work to the 2nd hole (they scooped out all the shit below it) and then the "new" hole that they just built LAST spring got some work, rather than a river wide feature it is now pushed into a small channel on river center-left. Its a dynamite little hole at low water, looks like it will be pretty munchy come spring. not sure of the shape of the feature for it tho, if we get 4,000 cfs it might tear that out of there....but, looks good, cant wait to get out there. coupled with psychadelic's new look just downstream, should be a good time time out there this spring.
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #4
The Gunnison Whitewater park does look good. The local kayak community is very pleased that their concerns were heard and local goverment stepped up to bolster these features that we fought so hard for. The forces of nature and lack of maintenance destroyed what was initially a very good play area. So Gunnison County making this a prioity, is a very good sign.

In the last couple of years the park got some bad press after a nice play hole failed to appear and the freestyle event of the Gunnison Whitewater festival failed to impress the contestants and spectators. But our county public works department made this a priority and did what was needed to fix the problems. I was told by Gunnison Public Works that Engineer Gary Lacy said he was confident that the new work has fixed the problems and should last much longer than the initial build.

Speaking of the Gunnison Whitewater festival. I know plans are in the works for a great one this year. It will be the Saturday of Memorial Weekend (May 24- May has 5 weekends in it this year and Memorial weekend is the 4th). There are some great competitive and other events being planned on the day of the festival as well as the surrounding week. Lake Fork and Taylor should be nearing high water as well. So, the Gunnison area for the long weekend should be a good time.

Another "big fix" on the Gunnison River is Psychadelic Falls. A quarter mile down from the Whitewater Park was an ugly diversion that was getting more and more dangerous each year. It made this one section of a class II scenic float into a potential "class IV" hazzard. The DOW steped in and has made this drop much more managable (for the fish too). Recreational class II boaters can once again enjoy this clasic Gunny Town Run.

All this tells me that the boating community as well as Government agencies have made the fun and safety of Gunnison Boating a priority and more good things are to come.
Osgood is offline   Reply With Quote