Old 11-30-2007   #11
pnw, Washington
see, ya been goofing off on boatertalk so long that you're confused...its gh

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by peak View Post
wow...thanks for all the well thought out, insightful replies. its really great to be part of such a well informed and intellectual on-line community...keep the great ideas coming!
I really hope your comment above is tongue in cheek. Free forum equals freedom to post any replies you want. But I am assuming that i just missed your joking tone.

As to your question: Weather patterns operate on their own schedule - you could have made the same comments during the dust bowl years that the big water era was over. You would have been wrong of course. And you might be wrong now - but the latest IPCC reports says that on average we will see smaller summer flows and more winter flooding in the mountain west.

Global warming does equate to overall warming of the earth, but it also means that there will be variability on which areas are warmed the most. It also means that some areas will get more snow and rain, while others get less. It is also though to increase the overall levels of variation in weather patterns. But in general these patterns are probably bad for western rivers and for our snow pack.

We might still get an occasional big water year here and there. Also remember that because we have so many dams that if the precip falls as rain it will still get caught in the dams and be available for dam controlled river flows. It might also make for a scenario in Colorado where non dammed rivers flow based more on rain and not on snow melt - much like many places in the eastern US and lower elevation Pac NW. Except that we get lass precip overall than those places.

For a Dory the reality is that most of the rivers you will want to run are higher flow and more likely to be dam controlled. So you will probably be fine for the considerable future. To hedge your bets; instead of making a dory out of wood you could buy one made of the same plastic that kayaks are made of. Then hitting rocks isn't a big deal. Check out Boulder Boat Works, their dories are primo.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #13
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
shit you run away backwards not run water backwards you're getting a little confused but thats what friends are for....
I didn't say I do it on purpose.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #14
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
yeah i have a couple buddies just like you. you gotta get up here in spring for some first descents.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007   #15
Bootjack (in the Sierra--not "Sierras"), California
Peak, Great to see you!

The future or river running... here are my thoughts...

raise a brood of little river rats, make sure they wear sunscreen but still get crusty. Teach them how to tie knots and have mom make them little throwbags instead of throwing lawn darts. Teach them swimmers position and how to catch eddies.

Join up with the fams from CO and have a huge kid barge. Cannonballs off the bow, flips off the stern, sand in the undies...

Water... Nathaniel Galloway was supposed to have just needed a heavy dew to make it down the same river system you are talking about. Surely there was a historic low in the past that old crusties were using their wooden boats. Right?

I hear you, amigo... Projects...

Heck, though I am way out here west, a dory is just so... pretty. I think that is the draw for me... the aesthetics of it all. I would love the opportunity to row one myself. I would love a taste. Just one great hit of one of those perfect waves or cranking on the oars in a technical move... You know the feeling...and then whamo... you are hooked and building one no matter.

Though deep down I feel that for me, yard art may be more of a fate than river steed. Distance, logistics, etc. to these places... But, I will support a dream whenever, especially this one... what is the worst that can happen... maybe your directions to your house would be
Turn left at the boat...

Bah. The "mighty Merced" is running at 36-50 cfs currently...Oak trees still have leaves and are green, nights are cool but not too nippy... I feel your climate anxiety. Ski season was practically a bust (or I was too snobby). Looking forward to some sort of other weather. Something to make me want to stay inside and

Would it even be worth it? You are asking yourself, I know. Ah... but what a project! Here is the alternative: Is there another place to sink your $$ into that is boating oriented? Anything more fitting? Bigger boat, sporty cat, hardshells, softshells, MTBs, etc...

Hope your quest is fruitful, amigo...

PS: I have a photo DVD to send you with Cataract, Wedding and GC pics. I will get it off in the mail this weekend, this time for sure. I am sending them out to the Professor as well.

Cheers to the weekend!

lito is offline   Reply With Quote