Old 10-24-2006   #1
pnw, Washington
Fundraiser for Katie Hilleke

If you cant afford to bid on the custom Dagger boat but would still like to do something to help Katie with her daunting medical bills, the PPWC has the solution. Come to Colorado Springs on November 14th and see a slideshow by Tommy Hilleke and buy a raffle ticket for cool kayaking gear and swag. More details to follow.

By the way if you missed the Dagger boat deal check it out, seems very cool. Follow the url on Hobie's post, bid and get yourself one cool boat.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #2
Here are some details. On November 14 at 6:30 the PPWC will sponsor a party at Southside Johnny's in Colorado Springs to benefit Katie Hilleke. Tommy Hilleke will be the guest speaker and will present a slideshow of his pictures from past LVM/Tdub expeditions. He is putting this show together specifically for this event.

We are collecting a number of donated gear items for a raffle to be held that night with all proceeds going to Help Katie with her medical bills. While we hope many of you will join us that evening, you can participate in the raffle without being there.

As we complete our list of items we will update the information with a post on this thread. To give an example of some of the things available you can look for a Jackson Kayaks, Sweet Cheeks, a set of JK Happy Feet, Videos from EJ and a special DVD from Penstock productions and many more to come.

To participate, here is what you need to do. Send a check made out to the Katie Hilleke assistance fund, directly to Katie at, 821 bluff creek club rd, Quinton, Al 35130.

Send me an e-mail at and tell me how much you donated and give me your contact information including your address to receive your possible prize.

For each $10 donated you wil get one entry in the raffle. We will post the winners and what they won within one day of the raffle on November 14.

Help us help Katie and maybe win some free gear. Please send a check before November 14 or better yet, join us on the 14th at Southside Johnnys to hear Tommy bring us all close to the action. Since this will be just 2 weeks after the Green Race we'll have a chance to hear some first hand race highlights.

I'd like to acknowledge Hobie's benefit through Dagger. His work on this gave us the idea for a complementary approach. Great job Hobie.

This raffle is possible through the generous support of many Whitewater industry folks. Once we finalize the prizes we will post a complete list and thank all the supporters who make this possible.

Directions to Southside Johnny's

Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006   #3
For anyone who has never met Tommy, it is well worth the drive. He did a creeking clinic for our club last year. He's one of the coolest boaters/person/pro I've ever met.
Justin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006   #4
I got a message yesterday from Nick Turner with WRSI helmets saying, "You can count on 3 WRSI helmets for the raffle. Where should I send them?"

We did not contact Nick, he just saw the post here on the Buzz and wanted to help. That's what I call stepping up!

Damn I like the boating community. We are still finalizing all the donated prizes. I'll post a full list with our great supportive donors in the next few days. So far we have donations from Jackson Kayak, Shred Ready, Immersion Research, CKS, WRSI, Penstock Productions, and of course, the Buzz.

Now let's get you all to Coloraodo Springs for the big night on November 14.

Old 10-26-2006   #5
Georgia Moonshine
A lot more stuff on here about fundraising and Katie than over on BoaterSquwak.

Thank you, gh2 for pointing me here. This place looks like a MUCH BETTER forum than that dump BT, have yet to find politics on here.
Trout_Bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006   #6
As of this morning, we have collected $620 in money already sent to Katie or pledges to be delivered at the event on November 14. We have collected a total of 38 prizes for the raffle. Momentum is building and once again, the generosity of the boating community is just terrific.

a cool development inspired by a paddler from Georgia is that 45 of 57 raffle entrants have pledged to donate any prizes they win to Brad Ludden's First Descents cancer camp for children. What a great way to set up a win / win situation.

Here is a list of prizes and number of each prize for raffle to support Katie Hilleke cancer care fund. Sorry about the formatting, but I just pasted from an Excel file.

Item Quantity Donor
WRSI helmets (3) 3 WRSI
Sweet Cheeks 1 Jackson Kayak
Happy Feet 1 Jackson Kayak
Advanced Playboating DVD (2) 2 Jackson Kayak
Middle weight top and skull cap (winter set) 1 Immersion Research
Tdub cut helmet 1 Shred Ready
Tdub Slideshow DVD 1 Penstock Productions
Stohlquist Wedge PFD 1 Colorado Kayak Supply
Funnel DVD A visual guidebook to New Mexico creeks 5 Waterdog Productions
Palm Drytop 1 Palm
lvm #20 20 Penstock Productions
LVM #19 1 Penstock Productions
Total prizes available 38
Old 10-27-2006   #7
Socratic Philosopher
The momentum on Katie's Fundraiser is really moving. I want to thank so many of you for getting involved and offering support. I spoke with Mike this afternoon and it is amazing how the boating community has come out to support the fundraiser. As you can see above, there are alot of donors. I am excited to see what will take place at Southside Johnny's on Nov 14th. I look forward to seeing all of you there.

Click here to read the story on the PPWC website.

or go to the link below...
Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late. The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder. I'm an over forty victim of fate.
el gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006   #8
Tom Sherburne of Shred Ready has stepped up in a big way. In addition to the Tdub cut helmet listed in the earlier post, he is donating, a Shensu, a Shaggy, a Phly, and a Vixen for a total of 5 helmets. Thanks again to Tom and Shred Ready for your support.

Old 10-30-2006   #9
I just found out about this cause, and I want to give props to PPWC, gear donators and of course all the people who have donated $ thus far. It is a real testament to the close ties of the kayaking community, and I acknowledge all of you for doing your part for the cause. My thoughts go out to katie and her family.
Dustin Urban
Team Dagger
Dustin Urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #10
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
I'd like to challenge everyone to donate if you haven't already. Anything you can give will go a long way to lifting the spirits of someone in the battle of their life - nothing is more important than support of friends, family, and strangers alike.

It doesn't matter how much you donate - it's the names of people Katie's never met that will bolster her spirits in the fight. I'm more aware of cancer statistics among young people than I'd like to be. It's a harsh and lonely fight. This is a chance to do something really great for someone. As someone who has been the beneficiary of kindness from people I've never met before in my family's fight against cancer, it cannot be overstated how much these gestures strengthen the spirit and raise the will to get up and carry on when the days are at their darkest. Please donate.

We'll also have a killer time on the 14th, so don't miss it!

heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote