Old 10-30-2006   #11
Newton Tilson, a paddler from Georgia, made a donation this week and said we could put him in the raffle but anything he won could be donated to First Descents, Brad Ludden's kayaking camp for kids with cancer. Newton's idea caught on and we have 65 out of the 72 tickets in the raffle so far committed to First Descents. We just received this message from Brad.

On behalf of First Descents, I would like to say thank you to the Pikes Peak Whitewater Club for including us in this awesome event to help Katie Hilleke through a rough time. When I heard about Katie's diagnosis, my heart instantly went out to her and her family. She is heading down a long road, but as the Lance Armstrong Foundation has said, "from the day of diagnosis, you are not a patient or victim, you are a SURVIVOR." Katie is a survivor, a name she can be proud to have. With her diagnosis she joined some 500,000 other Young Adult Survivors. Few people realize how big of a problem Young Adult Cancer is. I have listed some stats to give everyone an idea.

Cancer is the leading disease killer among 20 to 39-year olds.
Currently, there is an estimated 500,000 young adult cancer survivors between the ages of 15 and 40 year olds. In addition, 12,000 deaths due to cancer occur each year among 15-40 year olds.
Young adults face a spectrum of cancers unique to their age group.
In contrast to younger and older patients, the survival rates for young adults have not increased since 1975.
Diagnosis and treatment during young adulthood often results in a range of unique psychosocial issues.
Adolescent and young adult cancer survivors are a vastly understudied population.
First Descents is striving to give aid to this underserved population by giving them kayaking. Katie was fortunate to have the sport of kayaking and its wonderful community before diagnosis but so few have that and that is where First Descents steps in!

Thank you for supporting Katie and the entire Young Adult Cancer community in this struggle. We are all with you Katie, you are far from alone!

Brad Ludden and FD

Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006   #12
Donations as of November 2 are at $1330. We are very pleased and grateful for the support from across the country.

Old 11-06-2006   #13
Donations are at $1595 this morning. We've had contributions from all around the country. The Hilleke family is just overwhelmed and immensely grateful for the support and caring shown them by the boating community. We are having a positive impact for Katie that goes beyond the monetary value. Just outstanding.

We have 159 tickets in the raffle and of those, 86 are donated to First Descents.

Once again, I'd like to acknowledge Hobie's idea for the Dagger boat auction, which gave us the idea to do something complementary to that effort.

Old 11-07-2006   #14
Here are a couple of points that illustrate the caring and generosity of the boating community across the country. With one week to go before the raffle and big show in Colorado Springs, donations for Katie are $2,125 and 121 of 212 raffle tickets are pledged to First Descents cancer camp for kids.

Old 11-08-2006   #15
Here is a new way to donate to Katie that adds convenience and still lets you participate in the raffle.

Immersion research has set up a "Katie Hilleke" section on their on-line store where you can make a 5 or 10 dollar donation. If you want to contribute more, you can buy as many donations as you like, 100% of all donations will be given directly to the Hilleke family.

To donate online at the IR site go here,

Send me an e-mail at and tell me how much you donated and give me your contact information including your address to receive your possible prize.

Old 11-08-2006   #16
Yesterday the steering committee of the Katie Hilleke fund raiser had our day brightened considerably when I got this E-mail from Katie Selby.

Thanks for the info. We, on behalf of South Main, will be giving them $1000. We are sending them lots of love!

This puts donations to date at $3,125 and needless to say, we are all delighted with the level of support.

For information on the Selby's traditional neighborhood and river playpark project at South Main in Buena Vista Colorado go here,
Old 11-09-2006   #17
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
For this last week before the event, the CSM Kayak Club is donating $65 (tickets can go to First Descents) and challenging all those other organizations out there to do so, too. Best of luck; you will pull through this Katie.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006   #18
Donations have reached $3,430. 136 of 242 raffle tickets have been donated to First Descents. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of you next Tuesday in Colorado Springs.

High bid on Todd Gillman's picture donation is $150.

Old 11-12-2006   #19
Todd Gillman of the Range Life, the winners of IR's Trip to Hell expedition, has added a very special donation. Here is Todd's story about a picture he had professionally prepared and framed for an auction to be held at our event. The link to the Range Life Blog will show you a picture of the Picture.

Range Life Blog

Tis the season!
Even with health insurance, my shoulder surgery has been a stressful financial setback. But I can’t really complain.

Kayaker Katie Hilleke was recently diagnosed with cancer & the related medical costs are really stacking up. I learned about the WW COMMUNITY’S EFFORTS to raise some money to help offset the overwhelming cost burden she & her family must bear. I don’t know Katie, but I do know her brother .. So I offered to send him a framed print of one of my FAVORITE SHOTS from this year, to be auctioned off at a fundraiser benefit party for Katie.

This donation is a total team effort. I work for THIS AMAZING MARKETING FIRM in Seattle. We recently worked with THIS AMAZING PHOTOGRAPHER on a studio shoot in Portland. Dylan, the photog, graciously offered to handle the printing & shipping of the photo from his studio in NYC to my AMAZING FRIEND & FRAMER, Rocky, at Full Circle in Jackson, Wyo. Rocky, is also an AMAZING DJ, ARTIST, skater, & ALL-AROUND ATHLETE . He offered to comp the rushed framing & shipping of the finished piece down to Tommy in CO, in time for the benefit party on the 14th. In the end, the job will have taken the image on a bipartisan campaign thu the USofA, from Seattle (blue) to NY (blue) to Wyo (so red) to CO (red), & into the home of a new owner.

So this post is mostly just a huge THANK YOU to Dylan & Rocky for their help in getting this job done .. & to urge y’all to please support Katie by either DONATING or by running up the bidding on this, & several other items up for auction at the party.

The auction will be held at the Katie Hilleke fundraiser event in Colorado Springs on Tuesday November 14, but we don't want to exclude folks who can't be there in person. To give everyone a chance to bid on the picture, here is what we'll do. Send an E-mail to Mike Brown of the Pikes Peak Whitewater Club at and tell Mike what your bid is. The bids will be updated online, as they are received, and can be viewed at http://forum.pikespeakwhitewaterclub...opic.php?t=494

The highest bid received prior to the 14th will become the opening bid the evening of the 14th. If no one outbids it, then we will contact the highest bidder. The bidder has a choice of payment via check to the Katie Hilleke assistance fund or to use the mechanism set up on the Immersion Research site here to donate by credit card. The picture will be shipped, at our expense, on verification of donation.

Online bid e-mails must be received by 4pm Mountain Time November 14th to be included.
If you want to bid online, you are at a bit of a disadvantage as people attending the event will know what they have to beat to buy the picture, but a strong bid can go a long ways to overcome that handicap.

High bid on top

$175 Chris Brobin
$150 Derk Slottow
$100 - Mike Brown
Old 11-14-2006   #20
pnw, Washington
We will be getting started at 6:30 tonight, come on down and join us.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote