Old 06-18-2010   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Ft. Collins

Just out of curiosity, has anyone out there ever floated the Poudre through Fort Collins? Assuming you avoid the multiple dams and all. Is this legal? I've just never seen anyone doing it. With the college here, you think that at some point you would see someone in a boat or tube or something. The only reason I ask is that it would be cool to be on moving water of any kind after work without having to drive anywhere to get to it. Even filter plant is about 40 minutes from my house.

Bill Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010   #2
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
a friend floated a drift boat from overland to somewhere downstream of college once. he said it was a nightmare with all of the diversion dams to cross. if you launched at shields it wouldn't be as bad, as the dams east of college have boat chutes.

By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010   #3
Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Ft Collins

Yeah Bill, actually do this stretch a few times early season to get the feel back. I think it's great. Always the only one out there, a few minor rapids to keep you entertained (the one just east of college will really surprise you for something right in town), plenty of wildlife and no houses whatsoever-so rare on 'in town' rivers. really feels like you're way out of town. Usually do Lyons park in Laporte off Overland to the environmental learning center (basically easternmost point of drake-not exactly drake at that point, but that area near treatment center) but there are obviously many takeout/putin options. This is kayaking-or tubing would be great, I just havn't. There are roughly 4-5 portages (dams) on this section, so a raft other than a small paddle raft w/ some people to assist w portages wouldn't work. Have fun
Powderplayer is offline   Reply With Quote