Old 06-17-2014   #1
Loveland, Colorado
Fry-Ark update

Hi all,
Here's what Reclamation is up to on the Arkansas (sent this message out yesterday. Today, June 17, we dropped the release out of Turquoise to Lake Fork Creek down even more. It's now running at 30 cfs.)

Just a quick note to let you know where the Fryingpan-Arkansas Project stands.

Ruedi Reservoir is currently releasing about 205 cfs. The Ruedi Dam gage is reading around 237 cfs because another 30 or so cfs is from the Rocky Fork. The reservoir is about 94% full and still rising. We will try to stay near this release rate until the reservoir is full. Ruedi is anticipated to fill before the end of the month, probably a little sooner.

Releases from Sugarloaf Dam at Turquoise Reservoir to Lake Fork Creek were cut back today by 25 cfs. The current release is now about 104 cfs, 80 cfs of that being native runoff flow. Turquoise's water level elevation has come up considerably in the last two weeks. It is now almost 70% full, not quite, but almost.

Runoff down Lake Creek to Twin Lakes has also decreased. The release from the dam to Lake Creek and the Arkansas River is currently around 663 cfs. Twin is almost 80% full.

Meanwhile, Pueblo Reservoir has maintained a total storage content of about 60% for most of runoff, having hit its highest water level elevation for the season back in May. Please keep in mind that 60% of full at Pueblo is still a decent water level elevation because part of what is not filled in the reservoir is the flood control pool. It's good for the flood control pool to be empty!

As of today, we've moved roughly 70% of the the Fry-Ark's forecasted imports from the West Slope into Turquoise Reservoir via the Boustead Tunnel.

I'm in the office all week, this week. Please feel free to call or e-mail with any related questions.

Kara Lamb
Public Information
Eastern Colorado Office
Bureau of Reclamation
(970) 962-4326
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for the update Kara. It certainly is good for the flood control pool at Pueblo to be empty with monsoon season coming soon!

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #3
Loveland, Colorado
I hear that!

Oh, and I should add that yesterday, when I posted that update on the Fry-Ark, I read my hydro info incorrectly. Here's a quick correction: We are in the process of curtailing the release from Sugarloaf Dam on Turquoise to Lake Fork Creek (which then runs into the Ark). Today, we'll have Lake Fork Creek down to the high 50s in cfs. Tomorrow is when it hits 30 cfs.
Kara Lamb
Public Information
Eastern Colorado Office
Bureau of Reclamation
(970) 962-4326
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote