Old 12-24-2011   #31
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
The Frontier boxes are good quality, but for my money I prefer to have my boxes custom made to fit the frame/boat set up that I am actually using. My front drybox, e.g., is 44 wide, to exactly fit the inside diameter of the boat, and thereby serve as a replacement for the thwart/crosstube, helping keep the sides of the raft apart. It is also built only 15" tall, about inch less than standard pre-built off the shelf-boxes, which means the profile across the top of my boat is lower, flatter, etc., making for nice surfaces to lay on, sleep on, walk across, etc. My captains boxes, likewise, are the precise dimensions I wanted, and same height as the main drybox, making everything more or less uniform. I like the frontier captain's boxes I had but-for two things: Hinges are bolted on, and thought stainless and all that, sort of rough and tumble compared to a nicely riveted or welded piano hinge and, like another poster said, the latches are somewhat oversized, and also bolted on, not riveted. Rivets and welds make for a smoother profile. Paid more for the custom boxes, but since I boat often and long, figured I'd get exactly what I want instead of an off-the-shelf product. But, otherwise, the Frontier boxes are just as good. Oh, forgot to mention waterproofness - - here's my 2 cents on that - - if you plan to flip and flip often, and are really worried, than worry all you want. I run a dory most of the time, which takes on some water throught the hatches, but a sponge takes care of it. Kayakers sponge out their boats, etc. I think being "waterproof" and all that is oversold. My boxes will leak in a flip or a wrap, but otherwise, they don't take on any water during constant use on most rivers, big and small.

BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011   #32
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Had a captains box. Seems like a lot of odd sized screws and a funky hinge setup. The latches sucked after lacerating my leg i cut and filed down the lock tabs. Seems like they dont work anywhere near as good as my other boxes, and latches pop open easily. Other than rust forming on the hardware it seemed to work well --- at least as a dry box...
but i didnt stomp on the lid as the aluminum is not as thick as my other boxes. All my other boxes have reinforced lids which is necessary cause you cant always gingerly step across the lid of your box when the shit is going down

I guess you get what you pay for i'm not overly impressed but didnt feel gyped

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011   #33
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I don't own one but have friends who do. I have not heard any issues with dryness. The latches suck. The hinges are fair. Be careful if you want to weld frame hangers on because it is easy to weld right through the side of the box. I opted to spend the extra $$$ and bought an Eddy Out box and have been 100% happy with it.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011   #34
Jenks, Oklahoma
90 percent of the time, you get what you pay for.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote