Old 04-30-2009   #1
Front range wood situation

I think it's time we talk about wood. After that big heavy storm, there are a lot of trees down around here.

has anyone seen any fallen trees on any runs on the front range? All I have found is a gynormous tree laying across the Gash on USB. I'm not running that rapid anyway, but I'm worried it will float downstream. there is too much snow still to hike down the river bank, so i haven't seen anything past lumberyard.

who's got chainsaws?
Who's on wood detail for the source this year? SSV? Boulder Creek? West fork? big thomson? NSV?

I can probably handle USB and LSB and Eldo since i live near them there. I'd also be into helping with other creeks with my saw if someone else is planning a wood day.

let's get it done.

N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009   #2
Boulder, Colorado
I'd be into helping out with USB and maybe SSV or the source if I'm headed that way. NSV wasn't too bad last year (did anyone clean it out) I think for that one I will just deal with it on the run as I don't think I will lap it like the others.
When are you thinking of heading up to USB, I have finals/ graduation until next saturday and then a few days until we head to cali. I'd be up for cleaning it out so when it gets good we can get in there.

As a side note: are the USB and NSV gauges broken or still to early for them to report?

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Just riving down Boulder Creek the other day, I saw lots and lots of nasty trees. Mostly above the commonly run sections, but maybe someone could give a scouting report from the bike path?

The source may be tough, because there must be 2-3 feet still even in the lower parts. I feel an AT chainsaw mission in the near future. There will still be crotch deep snow in there as it starts to flow, and it needs to be cleaned at low flow. Maybe Baird can give us the local beta on access?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Looks like the south boulder creek at pinecliff gauge is reporting ssn which means its turned off for the winter. My guess is that they turn it on when things start flowing.

The lyons diversion gauge that was used to calc SSV shows discontinued. Not sure if they plan on turning it back on. Looks like the north fork south platte at pine was discontinued as well. Not sure why they turned off the gauges.

I did some minor flossing of bear creek. Still hoping it will run. I'd be down to help do some cleaning if folks get some missions planned.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
I'll be getting out to Denver in about 3 weeks. I'd be up for doing front range cleaning/paddling trips if stuff isn't cleaned out by then.
craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #6
cool. i think you are right about NSV. probably just run it and portage any logs. then we can clean in the fall if need be.

USB is coming up for sure. yesterday it looked to be about 100-150 from the put in bridge. I imagine they'll turn the guage on soon.

There is still a lot of snow along the banks. i'll check USB next week and see if I can hike down the banks.

Dave, are you going to get LSB like usual, with your huge chainsaw in your boat? I would love to be on that mission this year. i think I could get mine in my boat too.
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #7
Looks like they just turned on the USB Gauge...yep looks to be around 115.

I'm happy to help with wood removal in USB/LSB. Maybe the best way to get that wood out of RIWBY would be to paddle up from Gross and hike upstream? We've been hitting Eldo a bit and it is mostly clean.

I was at Eldora two weeks ago and the source was still under feet of snow.

Curious to hear from the Lyons locals about the SSV wood. I'd be happy to help up there as well. We might have a chance at some good juicy flows in SSV this season so it'd be nice to have it clean.

doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #8
The next zone, .
Chainsaws..... Yea I got a couple and will contunue to clean the Ark creeks...

You boys should look into a saw like this big dog... I have wanted a saw that could spin a 30" bar for some time now..

Just liftin that thing would be hard enough!!

Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #9
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
I can't offer a chain saw but I can offer a winch for any road side wood that could benefit from a tug.
GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #10
Kingston, WA
Paddling Since: 2000
Can help whenever....

I just moved out from Tennessee and living up in Wondervu. From hiking around in USB, the tree at Gnash (?) is the only one Ive seen. Also, I banged down LSB on Sunday and I was able to go over or around every tree although there were at least 4 that were river wide that will be more of an issue with more water and could use some attention.

Im down for a wood mission or boating whenever, call me anytime,

865 696 7658 cell
865 642 0130 home

AdamG is offline   Reply With Quote