Old 04-23-2010   #21
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
what time are people goin boatin? anybody interested in paddling later in the day? i can't make it down to boulder until 5ish, would be down to run anything, especially ssv, around then.

xavierengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #22
Longmont, Colorado
going to get a visual on ssv and maybe drive over to little t takeout. Heading up there around three, i'll have my boat.

crackeryaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #23
Longmont, Colorado
just looked at the graphs and it looks like ssv should be "in" and I'm going to guess that you'll have half in little T of what it is reading at Berthoud. Probably wishful thinking!
Ill check this thread before I head out around three, if anyone else wants to head up there.
Old 04-23-2010   #24
I'm trying very hard to be responsible and work this afternoon. Any predictions on how tomorrow will be? Or do I really need to spend 30 mins at Trestle tonight...
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #25
I really needed 30 minutes at Trestle. It was worthy. Dropping fast but it is a great surf right now. Eddy access was still holding good when I left. Very fun.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #26
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via Skype™ to DanielGlauser
Did anyone run/get a visual on SSV today? Any thoughts for the morning?
DanielGlauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #27
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Is going to flat line by morning. Definitely don't bother.
JHimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #28
Longmont, Colorado
SSV was at a minimum level for the standard run. New guage was at 6" (black line) surging to 7" at both four pm and 6:30 when i checked it. The dwr graph showed a free fall of 80cfs in town while we were on there, but didn't see much correlation of dropping from watching the new guage. Maybe it was the nsv that ended up having more flow?

THe narrows were definitely in at a low flow, like i said the rest of the run was low, but fun for the first time out this year, all the larger rapids were filled in nice, just a lot of fu rocks inbetween. Scott estimated about 120 cfs in there.

One log in the busy water after the rock you kind of have to duck rapid...known as left, left, right, left to some. The main current does push you into this log.

One other log somewhere past the slot drop, but before the island drop. This second one is almost river wide, but not in really busy water and we ducked under on river left at this level. That will change at any higher flows. Other than that it was clear.

Hope you'll got some frigid water today!

Didn't check out little T, but it sounds like it was really willowy, and this was over a decade ago...
Old 04-24-2010   #29
Kingston, WA
Paddling Since: 2000
Laps on SSV Narrows late afternoon yesterday after crackeryaker. Nothing to add, a nice fun low level (6") for laps

I'm looking at gauges and it seems that Eldorado is the only option for the front range, am I missing anything?

AdamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010   #30
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
So close... but not quite there. Bummer.

6" on the SSV gauge last year was a nice padded 200+ med/low. I suspect yesterday it read 6" with significant amounts of water coming in between the run and town. Last year 4" was low when rain wasn't involved.

Back to slim pickins today. At least we got some much needed moisture.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote