Old 04-06-2009   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Front Range early season kayaking

I want to get more comfortable in a kayak that way this summer when the rivers are running I can go out and play. I was wondering if there were any good surf spots, play holes (Golden WW Park, WW Park next to REI, etc) that are running now that I could go and play in, work on my roll, eddy catching, etc. I live in Fort Collins and dont mind driving for an hour or so if there is a park that is playing. What do yall think??

teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #2
Indian Hills, Colorado
Golden needs 80 cfs for there to be an eddy to catch
Confluence at low flow is nasty
Drive an extra 45 minutes to Waterton Canyon if it's got >300 cfs, usually the first early season Denver area boating, good surfing, eddys and river play.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #3
Likes it wet.
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2006

just take this number 404-216-6006
shoot me back yours.

I'm working with the g/f to get her ready for the season. You're welcome to come with us anytime we go... we should be out boating at least one weekend day and one week day (or thursday's)

As for boating... we'll heading down to salida, bv, or some of the playparks once things start running low here in a few weeks. Lyons is one of my favorite spots for taking people to work on skills. Confluence may be going up and down here soon.

Hope the winter treated you well... surprised I haven't seen you around.
LiquidGuy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado

I would be all for trying to get in some early season kayak runs before the season. I am going to try to get back into a hard shell and not spend ALL of my time in rafts. Between Costa Rica and the PNW the winter has been full of boating (at least more than normal) but unfortunatly school has been taking up a lot of time in between. Great to hear from you...we need to get out and paddle soon.

teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #5
I am jonesing and would be down for a waterton or a northplatte (maybe multiday?) run when those come in. You could handle both of those fine. I think becky still has your number. If not you should bring that shredder out to gore when that starts goin.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #6
Fort Collins, Colorado
I'm game for Gore, when does it usually start running? A Steamboat trip would be fun too, hit the Elk, Cross Mtn and playpark. I want to see some shredder surfing!
jmetten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #7
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy

You can join us for Polo on Thursday nights.

Sundays minus Easter at the Mulberry Pool, RMA Roll Sessions 493-4005 to sign up.

jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #8
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 02
what about Picnic rock on the Poudre? It should be coming up pretty soon eh? Check it out, it's the first rapid in the canyon and has an easy swim out if you have too.

Remember hips-shoulders-head-hips-shoulders-head...

jrinjun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #9
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Any time you are down in Golden let me know. I am in the same place in terms of trying to get back into the swing of things before June. I would be game to paddle any day after work and most weekends.

mdlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #10
Fort Collins, Colorado
Send a message via MSN to Becky J
I've got the kayak shakes too, need me some boatin. I'm in with you Josh and Paul.

I'll give you a call Jon.

Becky J is offline   Reply With Quote