Old 10-26-2010   #161
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
This rapid is hundreds of yards from the railroad tracks. The right side of the rapid MAY have been influenced by people blasting for gold. It is not railroad blast and it is not certain that this is man made. It's probably important to act as though the rapid is a natural one unless we are certain otherwise. Also the impact could be over a hundred years old and part of the Arkansas Valley's history...
Yep, the railroad is a long way from Frog Rock.

cmike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #162
Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Looking at it, it is absolutely clear all these rocks fell from the cliffs river right (ie, not the RR). However the point is that here in Colorado most of our 'undercut' issues are from rock debris piles, regardless of what caused the debris.

Pics of Frog Rog

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #163
Good pics.

Sorry about the railroad goof, but it's still man made. See: Frog Rock Thread
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #164
Jenks, Oklahoma

Thanks for taking the time to take and post these images.

This is the most complete series of images of this rapid I have seen. Tells the entire Frog Rock story very well.

Over the years, I have run this rapid a lot in a kayak and several times in a raft. If a person always runs hard river left the danger of the rapid might well be under rated, as on the left it is a easy move and typical of a lot of drops on the upper Ark. Never took the time to check it out in detail on river right as due to all the concerns about going river left I really concentrate hard on looking at the go left slot. (I believe 100 percent that you go where you look!)

From the photos, I can see that some one who did not know about the danger "could" head river right and not realize the bad choice till it was too late.

Thanks again for the images.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #165
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by basil View Post
Good pics.

Sorry about the railroad goof, but it's still man made. See: Frog Rock Thread
I have seen the drill marks in it as well, but that doesn't mean that it was blasted off the wall. Perhaps at one point someone else considered blowing up the rock in it's current position (not that anyone is seriously thinking of blasting it again). The location of the visable holes leads me to believe they were drilled while it was already in the river.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #166
searchers found Kimberley today about 1 pm. Expected to reach and retrieve by 3pm.
stankboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #167
V for Victory
9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Kimberly was found at 1PM today.

Body of missing Breckenridge rafter found in Arkansas River |
SummitAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #168
pnw, Washington
Thanks to the hard work of all that were involved today. I for one am glad this is over and maybe some peace will come to the family and friends.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #169
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1976
"Well Done" to all the folks involved in this who wouldn't give up. The #7 shaped rock dam that allowed this recovery to happen will be dismantled and I'm sure an honest attempt will be made to restore the rocks to their original positions, but I wouldn't be surprised if the left run becomes much more viable at all levels.
The CoSpgs dive team that actually made the recovery described in exquisite detail the underwater chambers on the right. Removing the hazard is virtually impossible.
So glad this is over --more peace for everyone--especially the Applesons.
zipbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #170
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 02
This is still horrible. I hope those involved can find peace.

God Bless SKA Brewery-Sturgeon General
C-dub is offline   Reply With Quote