Old 07-06-2007   #1
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Frisco/Tenmile Creek Playpark Approved

Town of Frisco approved funding, and secured a contract to build a single feature on tenmile creek, below the confluence of the main stream with North tenmile. They will put seating boulders on the side of the stream by Fiesta Jalisco mexican restaurant, and the feature will be just upstream of the Main St. bridge, just off I-70.
Looks like construction will start sometime in August, and should be complete by mid-September. Don't know who the group is that got the bid, but they can't use any concrete in the stream to anchor the boulders, and that's why they got this bid.
I encouraged the senior planner to have the contractor look at the Lawson Hole on Clear creek, since we get similar flows for a couple weeks each spring, and I LOVE that hole. If anyone has any more input for the project, they can feel free to contact:
Jocelyn Mills (Senior Planner, Town of Frisco)
(970) 668-5276 x3031

drjkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007   #2
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007   #3
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
oh come on, you guys dont use the breck park every day? isnt that what its there for? all 50 cfs of it?
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #4
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Shhh! The Breck Park, despite not being awesome, is much better than people give it credit for.

I thought about Tenmile a little and am growing slightly concerned. Unless something has changed recently, REP got the project. My concern is the fact that supposedly they can't use concrete to anchor the boulders to the streambed. Now, generally the reason people claim that you shouldn't use this system of anchoring with grouting is the fish habitat argument. There is a completely unsubstantiated rumour out there that fish can't travel upstream when you anchor with contrete and riprap grouting (this isn't true; think about Golden, Salida, Lawson, etc.). Now my concern is that with a grade of 40-60 fpm, regular flows of 600-800cfs and typical peaks of 900-1500cfs, the boulders won't hold without concrete anchoring. Think about Durango (I think REP did this one too): awesome features that basically are broken every year by the high water and then fixed again in the fall. Durango is one of the few parks I know of that is not anchored with cement. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #5
Buena Vista, Colorado
use duct tape

Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #6
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
They will need some big ass boulders with ones set deep to keep that stable. A hole with any retentiveness for a play feature by nature has very strong scouring and undercutting power.

Arn is offline   Reply With Quote