Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-19-2004   #1
Master of Chaos
Friends of the Yampa Fundraiser - Sunday 23, 7 pm Steamboat.

Friends of the Yampa and Paddler Magazine are hosting a fundraiser this Sunday night (23rd May) at 7:00 pm in downtown Steamboat at the Mahogany Ridge.

Raffle tickets, donations and proceeds from beer sales will go towards the Friends of the Yampa and their dedication towards improving the Yampa River.

A $5.00 entry fee will get you one raffle ticket and entry. Lot’s of river goodies will be raffled off including a Jackson Kayak. Live music, paddling movies (White Album), girls and much more…support the Yampa.

kentv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004   #2
Hey Kent,

Is there an existing master plan for future river feature development on the Yampa? Or will proceeds go to improving (ie. dredging) the D-Hole?

gard_nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004   #3
Not sure what the plans are for the holes, if there is any money left over or maybe if an opportunity arises to start a little fund at the party, but I think it would be really cool and very honorable to make a little plaque honoring Charlie Beavers. He was a rad kid who changed kayaking in steamboat and the whole world. We already have the hole named after him, we should put up a sign so everyone knows it who plays there. Just a thought.

Whiskey's for drinkin' and waters for fightin'
- Mark Twain
wycoloboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004   #4
Master of Chaos
Yo Dav,

There are still some outstanding bills that need to be paid off from building and tweaking the C-hole and D-holes, as well as funding for the Yampa River Festival (June 11-13th). If monies are left over, there will be some decisions to be made.

There is a group of locals now working on a Yampa River Improvement master plan, though it has been put on hold due to other engagements (R.I.C.D. push and Yampa River Festival coordination). The plans goal will be to inventory all existing river features and survey potential future sites for river improvements from below Chuck Lewis State Wildlife Area downstream to the future Bear River Park near Riverside. Fixing existing and building new play features will obviously be the top priority of the boating community, but this plan will be surveying all improvements such as put ins and take outs, fisheries improvements, bank stabilization projects…The C-hole will be worked on this fall as the river right wing still needs some shoring up, but the D-hole dredging has some permitting issues that need to be worked on and I’m out of the loop on when this will be dialed in.

We'd like to have the master plan finished by the end of summer so funding can start to be outlined. Once the Yampa River Festival is over, we will be going after this master plan. If anyone is interested in helping out with this, contact me and I’ll get in touch once we start going after this again.

kentv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004   #5
Just thought I'd bring this topic back to prominence, since it's tonight. Anybody from Laramie going down? I'd sure like to go and contribute in some small way, considering we really love your park.
\"I''ll take age and treachery over youth and inexperience anyday\"...---Some old fart color=cyan][/color]
MaryJane is offline   Reply With Quote